• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbreaker

Is it safe to install DX8 if I develop for DX7

This topic is 6073 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This might be a stupid question, but I''d rather be safe than sorry: I''m developping a 2D game using DX7 SDK, but I feel like playing too... Can I safely install DX8, or is there a risk that it will replace dll files that are specific DX7 SDK ?

Advertisement
As far as I know, DX8 is still backwards compatible. Don''t worry about it.

------------------------------
Omnipotent_Q
"Natural Gas! It gives you... ideas!"

There will be no problems. You could even install the DirectX 8 SDK and you could still do DX7 development (as long as you keep the DX7 documentation).

DirectX 8 does replace some files used by DirectX 7 because it has some DX7 bug-fixes. However, I''ve only had one problem with backward compatibility on a little 3D landscape engine I wrote long ago using DX7. For some reason, the version I compiled under DX7 wouldn''t run after I installed DX8, but when I recompiled the engine under DX8, it ran fine. I don''t even use DX8 for programming, but I always keep the SDK installed in case I ever change my mind.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!