How much would it be to hire someone to do 3D graphics?

Started by
5 comments, last by Unduli 9 years, 8 months ago

I'm not actually gonna hire anyone for this game that I'm doing for fun, but as I'm working on it it's becoming clear that I really don't have the ability to make great graphics myself, lol. I'm trying to make a game in the style of classic point-and-click adventures from the late '90s/early '00s so I would want art like that...not super state of the art or anything, and in the style of Syberia (although doesn't even have to be that good). I imagine to finish the game I would need about 15 unique rendered "rooms" and about 500 unique screens. Does anyone have any guesses as to how much it would cost to hire someone to do that?

Advertisement

Does anyone have any guesses as to how much it would cost to hire someone to do that?

Wikipedia states, for Syberia: "a budget of 2 million" (over 2.5 million USD)

Even if the part of that for art alone is 10% - 200K Euros

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

I've seen where it says that on Wikipedia before, but that's not really applicable to my situation...I'm not trying to make a game anywhere near as long as Syberia & I'm not making it commercial and I don't have employees so...completely diff situation. Plus this is over 10 years later so I imagine making that kind of art now would be cheaper than it was then.

How much would it be to hire someone to do 3D graphics?
Does anyone have any guesses as to how much it would cost to hire someone to do that?

foremma, your question was off-topic in the Game Programming forum, so I moved it to a more appropriate forum.
You can find information about how much people in the game industry make if you google "game industry salary survey," but be aware that freelancers have to charge more than salary-divided-by-X since freelancers have additional costs to cover.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Complete back-of-napkin math:
Say each room takes a week, exporting each screen takes an hour, and you find a very cheap artist willing to charge $20/hr --
15 rooms x 5 days x 8 hours x $20 = $12,000.
500 screens x 1 hour x $20 = $10,000.
Total: $22k, over 27.5 weeks.

You'd have to write up some task briefs, describing in detail the exact results you want, then ask some artists for time/cost estimates.
You could easily halve or quadruple the above figure by fiddling with the estimated times and costs. Keep in mind, I'm probably severely underestimating though!

In my experience with outsourcing, artists cost between $20 - $80 per hour, depending on experience and the client....

Plus this is over 10 years later so I imagine making that kind of art now would be cheaper than it was then.

Yes, because artists got together over the preceding decade and decided that they get paid WAY too much. rolleyes.gif

Real-world example: I paid a 3D artist to model, texture, and animate two (2) pairs of arms (male and female) and one (1) pistol (including clip, slide, bullets, and muzzle flash). It took him a little over one month and I paid him $1,000USD, a steal in my opinion. The end result was fantastic.

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

Plus this is over 10 years later so I imagine making that kind of art now would be cheaper than it was then.

Yes, because artists got together over the preceding decade and decided that they get paid WAY too much. rolleyes.gif

Real-world example: I paid a 3D artist to model, texture, and animate two (2) pairs of arms (male and female) and one (1) pistol (including clip, slide, bullets, and muzzle flash). It took him a little over one month and I paid him $1,000USD, a steal in my opinion. The end result was fantastic.

Your post suggest me to start learning 3D modelling asap :)

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement