I've decided unity

Started by
13 comments, last by Gian-Reto 9 years, 8 months ago
I asked a question what engine to use and I've decided after reading the replies and reading up, to go with unity

Now I want to ask, I know no languages so I'm new to this.
In regards to the engine should I learn both unityscript or C#, or should I focus on one just one. If I should do both what should I learn first, time is not a issue for me so I can go as slow as needed.

One last thing any good places to learn or even a book you recommend based on the answer you can give to the language question above.

Thanks for your time and patience
Advertisement

Personally any sort of languages would be beneficial unless you'd like to just create graphics all day.

Personally I'd go with C# rather than Unity's proprietary UnityScript; mainly because you'll get used to using it and limit yourself to Unity in a way. Using JavaScript inside Unity is slightly different to using it under web dev.

It would be beneficial to learn either language as that will aid in your knowledge of code in general outside of "pure game development", which is handy. JavaScript is most often used along side web development, side client stuff whilst C# will get you into differing concepts and application use, which is invaluable.

Bottom line is, both have their uses outside of Unity and I'd probably be looking at the bigger picture and what other interests with coding you have smile.png

You'll probably fine you'll want to learn both eventually as your curiosity grows. So either is a way forward.

Thanks for the response.

Can you recommend any books, website or videos to learn C#

Using JavaScript inside Unity is slightly different to using it under web dev.

Very different :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Very different smile.png!

Yeah they call it "JavaScript", but you're actually writing Boo code! They've written a whole bunch of macros to make it seem like you're writing JavaScript code.

Very different smile.png!

Yeah they call it "JavaScript", but you're actually writing Boo code! They've written a whole bunch of macros to make it seem like you're writing JavaScript code.

Don't they use Boo because it's built on .NET, and they can compile it to bytecode and use it just like C#?

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/c-fundamentals-for-absolute-beginners

Got nothing to do with Unity but if you want to become a game programmer imho you should learn to code first and worry about Unity later.

Just to make sure you didn't miss it:

The Unity homepage is full of technical tutorials and language references. As far as I know there are also some useful beginners tutorials.I have no access to the Unity page right now, but I might be able to dig up some good ones for you later on if you like.

Altough I do agree with Lithander on the topic "I fyou want to become a programmer, learn the language", and really, using C# inside Unity is going to be a looong journey to really learn the language (as long as you don't start on an Unity project of epic proportions codewise)... as you didn't state that you are in this for learning to program, if you are just looking for some code to move your objects, you will be able to find useful code on the Unity page and with short Google searches quickly.

of course, every game dev should learn some minimum programming skills if you ask me. Just so he doesn't see his programmers as practitioners of black magic anymore ;)

The Unity homepage is full of technical tutorials and language references. As far as I know there are also some useful beginners tutorials.I have no access to the Unity page right now, but I might be able to dig up some good ones for you later on if you like.

Altough I do agree with Lithander on the topic "I fyou want to become a programmer, learn the language", and really, using C# inside Unity is going to be a looong journey to really learn the language (as long as you don't start on an Unity project of epic proportions codewise)... as you didn't state that you are in this for learning to program, if you are just looking for some code to move your objects, you will be able to find useful code on the Unity page and with short Google searches quickly.

of course, every game dev should learn some minimum programming skills if you ask me. Just so he doesn't see his programmers as practitioners of black magic anymore ;)

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/c-fundamentals-for-absolute-beginners

Got nothing to do with Unity but if you want to become a game programmer imho you should learn to code first and worry about Unity later.

Thanks for the help. Yeah I want and am willing to learn a language.

I may have missed that bit in my op, but I wanted to ask which is most worthwhile and relevant to use later on with unity.

I appreciate the link and I'll check it out.

Thanks for the help. Yeah I want and am willing to learn a language.

I may have missed that bit in my op, but I wanted to ask which is most worthwhile and relevant to use later on with unity.

I appreciate the link and I'll check it out.

https://buckysroom.org/videos.php?cat=15

Video tutorials here, they might not be for you, but it's around 200 * 5-10 min.

I haven't seen these, but i followed his java and c++ tutorials and they are nice biggrin.png

Also, it doesn't matter what you script in in unity. But if you want to proceed with ex. OpenGL you'll wanna learn a c language (c,c++,c#).

If you wanna make websitelike stuff, use javascript.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement