Segmentation fault when loading texture using SOIL

Started by
5 comments, last by Athe 9 years, 8 months ago

Hey all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place

So I'm "refreshing" my OpenGL knowledge by following a series of tutorials, and have gotten to the texturing part.

For loading textures I wanted to try the SOIL library, which seemed pretty good. However when trying to load a texture like so:

GLuint tex_2d = SOIL_load_OGL_texture("img_test.png",
                SOIL_LOAD_AUTO,
                SOIL_CREATE_NEW_ID,
                SOIL_FLAG_MIPMAPS | SOIL_FLAG_INVERT_Y | SOIL_FLAG_NTSC_SAFE_RGB | SOIL_FLAG_COMPRESS_TO_DXT);

I am getting a segmentation fault because SOIL is doing this:

if((NULL == strstr( (char const*)glGetString( GL_EXTENSIONS ),
    "GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two" ) ))
{
    /*      not there, flag the failure     */
    has_NPOT_capability = SOIL_CAPABILITY_NONE;
} else
{
    /*      it's there!     */
        has_NPOT_capability = SOIL_CAPABILITY_PRESENT;
}

And it appears as if glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS) is returning NULL.

Upon searching for help on this, i found that calling glGetString with GL_EXTENSIONS has been deprecated and one should now use glGetStringi instead.

So what I did was I updated the SOIL code to use this new way of querying for extensions by implementing this function:

int query_gl_extension( const char *extension)
{
        GLuint num_extensions, i;

glGetIntegerv(GL_NUM_EXTENSIONS, &num_extensions);
        for(i = 0; i < num_extensions; ++i)
        {
                const GLubyte *ext = glGetStringi(GL_EXTENSIONS, i);
                if(strcmp((const char*)ext, extension) == 0)
                        return 1;
        }

return 0;
}

But this changed nothing. If I use GDB and step through this code, and try to print the value of the variable ext, I get the following:

$2 = (const GLubyte *) 0xfffffffff473d244 <error: Cannot access memory at address 0xfffffffff473d244>

The strange part is; If I try to call glGetStringi(GL_EXTENSIONS, 0) from MY code right before loading the texture with SOIL, it works. So that should rule out my GL context not being active, no?

What could cause glGetStringi(GL_EXTENSIONS, index) to return what seems to be a pointer to random memory when invoked from SOIL, but not when invoked from my code?

My OpenGL version is 3.3 and my OS is Ubuntu 64-bit.

Thanks!

Advertisement

A small update:

If I call glGetStringi(GL_EXTENSIONS, 0) from my project and then call glGetStringi(GL_EXTENSIONS, 0) from within SOIL (by modifying the SOIL source), I find that when calling from MY code, it returns a pointer to a correct string ("GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect") at 0x00007ffff473d244, and when called from SOIL, it returns a pointer to 0xfffffffff473d244.

So it would seem as the second time it returns the pointer, its upper 4 bytes have all been set to 0xFF.

This leads me to believe that somewhere, the pointer returned from glGetStringi is handled as a 32-bit value, and then cast back to a pointer type. But why would what happen?

Update #2:

I had missed a compilation warning that slightly confirms my suspicion:

/home/emil/projects/gltest/external/soil/SOIL.c: In function ‘query_gl_extension’:
/home/emil/projects/gltest/external/soil/SOIL.c:1888:24: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
   const GLubyte *ext = glGetStringi(GL_EXTENSIONS, 0);

However, the call to glGetStringi that i make from MY code does not generate this warning. I fail to see why this warning would occur, and google gives me nothing..

Sounds weird. What compiler and which version of it are you using? And just a random guess, but does SOIL.c have the needed includes for glGetStringi?

Derp

Thanks for your reply,

I'm using GCC (my code is compiled as C++, and SOIL is compiled as C) version 4.8.2.

SOIL.c includes GL/gl.h which in turn includes GL/glext.h, where the declaration for glGetStringi is found.

And you're actually defining GL_GLEXT_PROTOTYPES so that the glGetStringi gets declared? I just made a simple test, and compiling it as C++ creates an error.

gcc -Wall -g test.c $(pkg-config --libs --cflags sdl2) -lSOIL -lGL -lGLEW && ./a.out:

test.c:10:3: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘glGetStringi’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

g++ -Wall -g test.cpp $(pkg-config --libs --cflags sdl2) -lSOIL -lGL -lGLEW && ./a.out:

test.cpp:10:53: error: ‘glGetStringi’ was not declared in this scope

Derp

I am not defining GL_GLEXT_PROTOTYPES myself, but I assume that GLFW/GLEW or some other header file that I'm using defines it, because I do not get that compilation error.

Ok...so now I just tried creating a small test program in C like this:

#include <GLFW/glfw3.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
        GLFWwindow *window;
        const GLubyte *ext;

if(!glfwInit()) {
                fprintf(stderr, "Failed to initialize GLFW\n");
                return -1;
        }

glfwWindowHint(GLFW_SAMPLES, 4); // 4x antialiasing
        glfwWindowHint(GLFW_CONTEXT_VERSION_MAJOR, 3); // OpenGL 3.3
        glfwWindowHint(GLFW_CONTEXT_VERSION_MINOR, 3);
        glfwWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_FORWARD_COMPAT, GL_TRUE); // Apparently needed "to make OS X happy"
        glfwWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_PROFILE, GLFW_OPENGL_CORE_PROFILE);

window = glfwCreateWindow(1024, 768, "Tutorial 01", NULL, NULL);
        if(window == NULL) {
                fprintf(stderr, "Failed to open GLFW window.");
                glfwTerminate();
                return -1;
        }

glfwMakeContextCurrent(window);

ext = glGetStringi(GL_EXTENSIONS, 0);
        printf("%s\n", (const char*)ext);
        return 0;
}

And it failed just like previously. The returned pointer from glGetStringi is not correct, the upper 4 bytes are all 0xFF, just as if it is returning a 32-bit pointer to my 64-bit program and the 0xFF are just default values for the extra bytes.

However, if I do what you said and define GL_GLEXT_PROTOTYPES, it works! That seems really weird to me, but I'm glad it solves the problem!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement