• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
3Ddreamer

Internet Explorer 11 Debacle

54 posts in this topic

Hi,

After trying everything at the Microsoft website and other sites to fix the problem (short of reinstalling everything by restore to factory fresh condition), I still can not install Internet Explorer 11. I am an IT Consultant, so I know that all the solutions offered were done right by me. Both Windows Update and manually installing from Microsoft download of IE 11 failed repeatedly.  There does not seem to be corrupt files according to BIOS.

Specs

Windows 7 32-bit

Updated, except for IE 11

In the media I have heard about a bunch of problems with this IE, including major security issues which MS claims to have covered. Somebody dropped the ball in the Beta testing of this one, for sure.

Bugger!

Edited by 3Ddreamer

Are you using a legit version of Windows ?

Now-a-days if the MS web server detects your system is a bootleg, it will not instal any software .

There does not seem to be corrupt files according to BIOS.

The BIOS is not responsible for detecting corrupt files.

That aside, have you read the following articles yet?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2820688
(replace IE10 with IE11 and it follows most of the same prereqs)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/windows_7/update-to-ie-11-get-error-9c47/2245f627-58ed-4a96-8802-7feabae753f3 Edited by Nypyren

try

sfc /scannow

in an administrative command line.  This will check for and repair corrupted files.  Beyond that.  I'd try downloading and running malwarebytes and see if there is anything malicious going on.

May I ask why do you want to install IE?

To which I add, why do you need to? I tried to uninstall IE in Windows 7 and couldn't do it - I came to the conclusion that they were inseparable - so how can you have Windows 7 without IE?

so how can you have Windows 7 without IE?

Not without IE, but probably just an older version.

@op: I remember having problems like these myself when trying to test websites on IE. I started using a VM instead. It's just not worth the hassle.

I have a legitimate installation of Windows 7.  Windows Update will only succeed in installing IE 9 which I have now.  IE 10 and 11 won't install.  BIOS says that everything is okay by memory.  Command Prompt adminstrative scan shows no corrupt files. All data on drives were deleted and Windows reinstalled but the problem continues.

I have a legitimate installation of Windows 7.  Windows Update will only succeed in installing IE 9 which I have now.  IE 10 and 11 won't install.  BIOS says that everything is okay by memory.  Command Prompt adminstrative scan shows no corrupt files. All data on drives were deleted and Windows reinstalled but the problem continues.

I've never encountered a situation where a website which worked on IE 9 didn't work on IE 10 and 11. May I ask why you specifically need to test with 10 and 11?

I've never encountered a situation where a website which worked on IE 9 didn't work on IE 10 and 11. May I ask why you specifically need to test with 10 and 11?

Odd attitude.  I'd reverse it:

From a quality perspective it makes sense to test and verify on as many systems and platforms as possible. That is why tools like Selenium were created that test in bulk. Is there any reason you would want to NOT test on combination someone uses?

Getting back toward the OP, I've never seen or heard of the offline installer failing, nor have the people near me.  It is nice to have freshly installed virtual machines so we end up running assorted installers and updates occasionally. For the offline installer you just run the offline installer and it works. If the offline installer fails for you, I'd look up the error message or look in the system log, and search for any error messages you can plug into google.

Like frob wrote, I must be sure that everything runs on the IE version that was specifically designed for Win 7 and Win 8 because these will be used for years to come by many people.

If my network is compromised, then I need to fix that.  Once in a while I discover a hacker or network malware - rare but it happens.  In the course of a year I visit many websites, so the possibility of attack is very real.

This summer, Microsoft announced that IE 11 had some serious vulnerabilities to attack and that they were working as fast as they could to improve security. After the last update of IE 11, I cleaned by computer and did factory fresh install - only to be disappointed that IE 11 no longer installs. Literally every other Microsoft update and other application or software does install.

Is some dark group in China making a Cyber attack again?   dry.png

Edited by 3Ddreamer

To be honest, you don't sound much like an IT consultant if you think the BIOS is anything to do with identifying corrupt files.  Me, I do this stuff for a living so the fact that I can buy food is the authority behind what I say. ;)

Anyway, I've done something like - oooh - 10,000 or more IE installs, including manual, via Windows Update and automated via a variety of tools (GPO, SCCM, once even piggy-backed on an Office 2003 Customization Wizard setup) and they've all worked.

Reasons to install IE11 include testing Enterprise Mode in a corporate desktop environment.  That's very valid - it's easy for the hobbyist or professional coder to forget that their own personal preferences don't even apply in many environments.

For a standalone machine I'd advise Windows Update as the first line of attack, and clearing the Windows Update Cache as the first thing to do if that goes wrong.  I'm not certain from your original post if you've done this or not, but it's normally a good way of fixing things up if updates (and IE is really not much more than just another update these days) fail.

Yeah, I didn't clear the cache because I really didn't think that it could prevent an update, since I thought (could be wrong) that Windows Update handles that.

Actually, checking for errors can indicate that something is wrong in hardware someplace, so BIOS does have a role.  Corrupt files in BIOS could hide a problem, but everything seems okay.

Edited by 3Ddreamer

By the way, it is very annoying to have webpages look distorted and sometimes not be able to find or use buttons on a webpage because IE 9 is outdated.

As far as detecting bad RAM, the BIOS will almost never do this properly. The BIOS can detect easy-to-spot problems things like "this RAM just doesn't work at all" but won't detect small-scale (yet highly problematic) errors. You should use a tool such as Memtest86 (or Memtest86+ - take your pick) if you start suspecting your RAM might be bad.

By the way, it is very annoying to have webpages look distorted and sometimes not be able to find or use buttons on a webpage because IE 9 is outdated.

Is your current browser outdated? Solution: Install Google Chrome. mellow.png

If my network is compromised, then I need to fix that.  Once in a while I discover a hacker or network malware - rare but it happens.  In the course of a year I visit many websites, so the possibility of attack is very real.

Is your current browser making your computer vulnerable to viruses? Solution: Install Google Chrome. smile.png

This summer, Microsoft announced that IE 11 had some serious vulnerabilities to attack and that they were working as fast as they could to improve security.

Is your current browser buggy and unneccesarily slow? Solution: Install Google Chrome. biggrin.png

To which I add, why do you need to? I tried to uninstall IE in Windows 7 and couldn't do it - I came to the conclusion that they were inseparable - so how can you have Windows 7 without IE?

Well played! laugh.png

I'm assuming that's a reference back to the Microsoft antitrust lawsuits, where they claimed IE6 was an 'inseparable' part of Win95.

But, just incase you were being serious, Microsoft has intentionally integrated and interwoven the core components of Internet Explorer with Microsoft Windows, starting back with Win98. If you wish to merely make the icons disappear and uninstall the browser as an application, you can go to:
Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> "Turn Windows Features On or Off" (linky on the left panel)  -> uncheck "Internet Explorer 11" (third checkbox down) Edited by Servant of the Lord

Is your current browser outdated? Solution: Install Google Chrome. mellow.png

If my network is compromised, then I need to fix that.  Once in a while I discover a hacker or network malware - rare but it happens.  In the course of a year I visit many websites, so the possibility of attack is very real.

Is your current browser making your computer vulnerable to viruses? Solution: Install Google Chrome. smile.png

This summer, Microsoft announced that IE 11 had some serious vulnerabilities to attack and that they were working as fast as they could to improve security.

Is your current browser buggy and unneccesarily slow? Solution: Install Google Chrome. biggrin.png

Well played! laugh.png

I'm assuming that's a reference back to the Microsoft antitrust lawsuits, where they claimed IE6 was an 'inseparable' part of Win95.

But, just incase you were being serious, Microsoft has intentionally integrated and interwoven the core components of Internet Explorer with Microsoft Windows, starting back with Win98. If you wish to merely make the icons disappear and uninstall the browser as an application, you can go to:
Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> "Turn Windows Features On or Off" (linky on the left panel)  -> uncheck "Internet Explorer 11" (third checkbox down)

I thought he was a web developer who wanted to check compatibility.

So, since nobody asked the obvious. How does the install fail? Error code?

All the others mocking IE, shut yer yapper. It's a decent enough browser and at least doesn't install 20 update services, works fine without millions of addons and doesn't phone home to NSA.

Solution: Install Google Chrome. mellow.png

Have a locked-down corporate network with hundreds or thousands of users where you need to maintain consistency across application versions and browser versions, need to run legacy apps, and need central administration of browser settings?

Solution: don't install Google Chrome.

Seriously people, the single-machine "developers plaything" environment where you've free reign over everything and can fix stuff yourself if it goes wrong just doesn't exist for most end-users in the real world.

So, since nobody asked the obvious. How does the install fail? Error code?

All the others mocking IE, shut yer yapper. It's a decent enough browser and at least doesn't install 20 update services, works fine without millions of addons and doesn't phone home to NSA.

Seriously? It's well known Microsoft works very closely with the NSA.

People don't like IE because it's less secure than other browsers, it's slower, and it's less compatible with new HTML5 / CSS3 features.

Edited by superman3275

People don't like IE because it's less secure than other browsers, it's slower, and it's less compatible with new HTML5 / CSS3 features.

Security these days is probably a wash; IE11 is a far cry from the old days.
(and given the number of huge gaping security holes in Android which have been discovered of late trusting Google's Chrome browser to be secure isn't high on my To Do List either...).

As for the rest... honestly... number of shits given = 0.

IE is used by so many people that it is not practical in IT in general and specifically in game development to completely avoid it. Obviously IE has advantages and disadvantages like all browsers have.

I actually use Firefox and Google Chrome when recommended by an application or software developer for certain issues such as in the area of add-ons. Also, Cookies handled by some browsers are known to have security problems, so there are a few secure websites which have their own recommendations on which browser to use. Given - much of this is the difficulty of end-users managing the browser settings, but a real security issue can exist at times.   I have seen developers and websites recommending one or a couple of the major browsers in the cookie area alone. Webpage compatibility is another issue.  We might see more reason to have 2 or 3 browsers installed in the future on the add-ons issue alone.

Proprietary means that all the browser developers have hold of part of the applications or solutions so a browser that does everything well won't happen.  We are stuck once again with privatization blocking standardization. Instead of dealing with one central standard we have a mess of developer parties claiming to be standard collectively. 

Who hasn't had many problems with browsers?   As long as the USA government refuses to settle on solid industry standards for the sake of "free enterprise" and corporations each bring their own proprietary solutions to issues, we got one hell of a mess to navigate if we are professionals in general IT and especially web software sevelopment. 

Download speeds are another pet peeve of many (among other browser obstacles).  Sometimes the download speed with Firefox or Google Chrome is much faster than IE.  At other times it is the opposite. I am not that advanced in IT to understand why exactly this is.  Anybody know?  Rumor in the internet is that security measures slow downloads but I doubt that. How can that account for the differences in download speed across browsers?  I am quite a fan of torrents, by the way, because usually I can multiply download speed.

It is amazing to me that we don't have more of a mess, but for the many millions of dollars and hours spent with browser issues. wacko.png  One browser solution is clearly not a practical option.    

Edited by 3Ddreamer

Security these days is probably a wash; IE11 is a far cry from the old days.
(and given the number of huge gaping security holes in Android which have been discovered of late trusting Google's Chrome browser to be secure isn't high on my To Do List either...).

As for the rest... honestly... number of shits given = 0.

It's different, because in any extremely large piece of software (Android), there will be security bugs, but Google fixes them quickly. Microsoft is creating backdoors / security vulnerabilities on purpose to help the NSA.

Microsoft is creating backdoors / security vulnerabilities on purpose to help the NSA.

I believe that both Google and Microsoft are doing that.  The fog about browsers also helps hackers such as the millions per day that come from China.

I feel like I am living in a glass house every time I get on the internet!  ohmy.png

OP - would you describe how instalation fails?

Towards IE, it is a versionized software that does not (cannot) update. Even if it was faster than others, I would upon that still consider it a bogus internet browsing application.

Finding out that IE 11 still cannot play .ogg vorbis media, only exclusivly mp3, I stopped reading about it (I have created ogg media player in a day with only the official vorbis codec source). This gives me a feeling that Microsoft IE falls to tendencies of certain industry and market players in a large extent. I would not be surprised (absolutely not) if it was sending all your cookies to not only their creators domains, but also to NSA, KGB.