Europe 1300 - released & "postmortem"

Started by
36 comments, last by Truth3w3 9 years, 6 months ago

Items gained from activities could be listed after the posted Stamina cost.

Fiefdom:

Maybe have the peasants in a preset, to allow people that do not see they need to reallocate peasants.

Additionally, The Crops, Livestock, and Resources could use some warning when nothing is selected, but has peasants allocated.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Advertisement

You had my upvote at the mere fact you've finished the game ;)

LOL. But it's tue, finishing a game is (almost) all that counts for a game designer. We can talk, plan and everything but... only when you see your game released and played by others, even if it's not a beauty and a bit crippled, you know why you were doing it in the first place. Not to mention an insane dosage of endorphins if produces smile.png

I fully agree. I applaud to it even.

I'll try to check on this later tonight if I can muster the time.

Gratz again!

Edit: I think there's also a sub-forum for these kind of announcement, and also the indie awesomesauce sub-forum for indie stuff. Might be considered cross-posting though, but it appears more fitting than 'game design'? Plus you'd probably get more exposure in announcements methinks.

Fiefdom:
Oh, fiefdom... I will recode that one later anyway :)

Crops history is quite interesting (from the deigner's perspective). First I made some fields the player owned and would harvest daily. But it was not so great and confusing so I removed it and made fiefdoms - mini village you own and upgrade. But... it is not so great either :) So finally I made Fields buildings, just like a forest where anyone can came in and harvest wheat as any other resource :) Players liked this best (consistent, not confusing, balanced, and SUPER EASY TO IMPLEMENT :D), I plan to also recode fiefdoms so these grant instantly gold daily without any action.

So... My questin is, why, why have I tried to make that part so original/twisted!? Couldn't I just make it like all other gathering resources mechanics from the start? Why, o why, in my stupidity I needed to code two complex systems before I dumped them and went back to the trivial simplicity I could code in 5 minute!?

Tell me, WHY, why I did such nonsense mistake :D Why I made my life so difficult!? It was so completelly unneeded :)

Edit: I think there's also a sub-forum for these kind of announcement, and also the indie awesomesauce sub-forum for indie stuff. Might be considered cross-posting though, but it appears more fitting than 'game design'? Plus you'd probably get more exposure in announcements methinks.
Designers sux as players, so I don't count on much promotion here :) I posted here because there are a lot of people I know here.

(and I posted in the forum you mentioned too, of course, no one read these fourms - that's the whole point of these, so people can post things no one wants to read :D)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I think the mini-village is a great idea. For people to be able to gain income and maybe raise small armies that they can take into defending the Kingdom.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

I added some FB page (I barely know how this FB thing works biggrin.png) Not sure what for but since everyone is doing it my game can't be worse biggrin.png

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Europe-1300/752036018176665

I think the mini-village is a great idea. For people to be able to gain income and maybe raise small armies that they can take into defending the Kingdom.

Yeah, I was thinking it works great as well. It was one of the reasons I cutted and throwed parts of the code later sad.png Unfortunatelly things that sound great on paper not always work in practice sad.png

BTW, do you have comments on my postmortem? What are your thoughts? Maybe you you find something I/we could learn from this project (like why it took 3 years and if it was unevitable to toake that long, about removing parts of finished code, etc)?

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

First of all, congratulations for finishing your game!

I've not tried it yet, but I will. I'm curious about the "low time investment" part because usually what keeps me off playing that kind of games is the amount of time they require if I want to avoid being farmed by users who spend more time playing than I do. Could you explain a bit what did you do to achieve not needing to invest a big amount of time?

I've not tried it yet, but I will. I'm curious about the "low time investment" part because usually what keeps me off playing that kind of games is the amount of time they require if I want to avoid being farmed by users who spend more time playing than I do. Could you explain a bit what did you do to achieve not needing to invest a big amount of time?
Yeah, I kind of targetted the niche of "people who don't have much time to play". How I achieved this? Quite simply actually, different mindset. Most games & developers measure their success by how much time players spend on the game. I try to kick out players quickly (of course they can do some stuff for much, much longer - especially the social things (negotiations, talking, making plans, plotting, etc)) and measure my success by how many months/years they logged on to the game at least once per day (so my goal is long term retention).

The rest was easy, no mechanics that made you wait (instead there are points you can instantly spend). So, while a traditional game would make you wait one hour before you can harvest a field and then you wait next hour to do it again I made stamina points that accumulate up to 18 hours and you can spend them in one burst (harvest the field 50 tiems in a row without any waiting :D). From balance point of view the effect is identical, it's just no useless short-period waiting.

This is a great game!

The game seems to need translating, i can translate into Dutch. (i got one working and two dead links in the translators office, not sure whether this office is supposed to be content or not)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement