• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Acharis

Europe 1300 - released & "postmortem"

38 posts in this topic

First of all congrats! :D

And thanks for the post-mortem, it's always nice to know of other's experience. Especially your point about being too original.

Anyway I checked your game, and it seems huge and there is so much to do! Maybe I will try some more (even though this type of game is not really my prefered) :D

So once again good work, and see you in space for the next (probably?;) )

Hi there,

First, congratulations on the game, it shows that you have put great effort in it! Keep up the good work :)

And now my feedback. I am a huge fan of this kind of games, but I have found only few to be good enough to spend time for them. Unfortunately your game is not on the list. I created an account a few weeks back, logged in and ... I got lost. Tried to follow the tutorial hints but after a few they got really unclear. I had to discover on my own where are certain buildings and how to build them. It was not simple and not fun. Maybe I didn't get to the fun part, but I doubt that a casual gamer will pass my efforts. And yes, maybe if you get used to it, then it will be easy, but in the beginning is not :( And that is what drove me away. 

Of course, building such a game is not easy and again I want to congratulate you on the efforts and I hope this game becomes really popular! :)

Anyway I checked your game, and it seems huge and there is so much to do!
Heh, to me it seems like quite a simple (I cut down on complexity a lot) game with not much to do :) But I guees I could be completelly mistaken :D

So once again good work, and see you in space for the next (probably?;) )
Maybe :)

I got lost. Tried to follow the tutorial hints but after a few they got really unclear. I had to discover on my own where are certain buildings and how to build them. It was not simple and not fun.
Hmmm, do you say improving tutorial would help? Like adding more text (I tried to make minimum text there, maybe I should go for more)? Or maybe add small screens "where to click"? Or something else I should do?

Maybe I didn't get to the fun part, but I doubt that a casual gamer will pass my efforts.
Yeah... My games slaughter casuals mercilessly :(

Created an account and have some suggestions.

List the items that would be gained like the forest Gather Clay.

As for the Tutorial could you add a green ring highlight for the buttons that need to be hit.

It seems like it would be fairly easy to put into effect if you are using PHP.

Wish list:

Fiefdoms - Would like to have a preset list of names.

Prompts - Especially, in the Feifdom window there are very few prompts to setup things.

MinMax - Wish there was more data on the stats and their effect

Questions:

Where does the products of the market go?

Could people sell bread and drink to the tavern?

P.S.

As a fellow PHP programer if you are looking for custom solutions to issue I would be more than happy to help.

Edited by Navyman

List the items that would be gained like the forest Gather Clay.
List where?

Prompts - Especially, in the Feifdom window there are very few prompts to setup things.
I don't understand.

MinMax - Wish there was more data on the stats and their effect
I'm not sure I understand :) Physical + courage is used for duels. Wisdom boost offices (that one is more complex and confusing I suppose) the rest are used for various things (like fiefdoms management, countial claims). Anyway, where you propose to add this information? Just a big wall of text on the bottom of the attributes page?

Where does the products of the market go?
It's complicated :) It goes to the Market, they have internal warhouses and regulate the flow of these goods. They are the middleman.

Could people sell bread and drink to the tavern?
No. Same for weapons.

You had my upvote at the mere fact you've finished the game ;)

Edited by Orymus3

LOL. But it's tue, finishing a game is (almost) all that counts for a game designer. We can talk, plan and everything but... only when you see your game released and played by others, even if it's not a beauty and a bit crippled, you know why you were doing it in the first place. Not to mention an insane dosage of endorphins if produces :)

Items gained from activities could be listed after the posted Stamina cost.

Fiefdom:

Maybe have the peasants in a preset, to allow people that do not see they need to reallocate peasants.

Additionally, The Crops, Livestock, and Resources could use some warning when nothing is selected, but has peasants allocated.

LOL. But it's tue, finishing a game is (almost) all that counts for a game designer. We can talk, plan and everything but... only when you see your game released and played by others, even if it's not a beauty and a bit crippled, you know why you were doing it in the first place. Not to mention an insane dosage of endorphins if produces smile.png

I fully agree. I applaud to it even.

I'll try to check on this later tonight if I can muster the time.

Gratz again!

Edit: I think there's also a sub-forum for these kind of announcement, and also the indie awesomesauce sub-forum for indie stuff. Might be considered cross-posting though, but it appears more fitting than 'game design'? Plus you'd probably get more exposure in announcements methinks.

Edited by Orymus3

Fiefdom:
Oh, fiefdom...  I will recode that one later anyway :)

Crops history is quite interesting (from the deigner's perspective). First I made some fields the player owned and would harvest daily. But it was not so great and confusing so I removed it and made fiefdoms - mini village you own and upgrade. But... it is not so great either :) So finally I made Fields buildings, just like a forest where anyone can came in and harvest wheat as any other resource :) Players liked this best (consistent, not confusing, balanced, and SUPER EASY TO IMPLEMENT :D), I plan to also recode fiefdoms so these grant instantly gold daily without any action.

So... My questin is, why, why have I tried to make that part so original/twisted!? Couldn't I just make it like all other gathering resources mechanics from the start? Why, o why, in my stupidity I needed to code two complex systems before I dumped them and went back to the trivial simplicity I could code in 5 minute!?

Tell me, WHY, why I did such nonsense mistake :D Why I made my life so difficult!? It was so completelly unneeded :)

Edit: I think there's also a sub-forum for these kind of announcement, and also the indie awesomesauce sub-forum for indie stuff. Might be considered cross-posting though, but it appears more fitting than 'game design'? Plus you'd probably get more exposure in announcements methinks.
Designers sux as players, so I don't count on much promotion here :) I posted here because there are a lot of people I know here.

(and I posted in the forum you mentioned too, of course, no one read these fourms - that's the whole point of these, so people can post things no one wants to read :D)

I think the mini-village is a great idea. For people to be able to gain income and maybe raise small armies that they can take into defending the Kingdom.

I added some FB page  (I barely know how this FB thing works biggrin.png) Not sure what for but since everyone is doing it my game can't be worse biggrin.png

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Europe-1300/752036018176665

I think the mini-village is a great idea. For people to be able to gain income and maybe raise small armies that they can take into defending the Kingdom.

Yeah, I was thinking it works great as well. It was one of the reasons I cutted and throwed parts of the code later sad.png Unfortunatelly things that sound great on paper not always work in practice sad.png

BTW, do you have comments on my postmortem? What are your thoughts? Maybe you you find something I/we could learn from this project (like why it took 3 years and if it was unevitable to toake that long, about removing parts of finished code, etc)?

Edited by Acharis

First of all, congratulations for finishing your game!

I've not tried it yet, but I will. I'm curious about the "low time investment" part because usually what keeps me off playing that kind of games is the amount of time they require if I want to avoid being farmed by users who spend more time playing than I do. Could you explain a bit what did you do to achieve not needing to invest a big amount of time?

That's awesome, the fact you finished something that took so long. Counteract that negative karma of people who give up.

The game seems to need translating, i can translate into Dutch. (i got one working and two dead links in the translators office, not sure whether this office is supposed to be content or not)

Just noticed that you have added Ads to the button of the site. Could you share how you were able to do this. I think a fair amount of people would be interested in this. Thank you.

That's awesome, the fact you finished something that took so long. Counteract that negative karma of people who give up.

And the most horrible thing is I was considering to cancel the project near the very end...

The game seems to need translating, i can translate into Dutch. (i got one working and two dead links in the translators office, not sure whether this office is supposed to be content or not)

It's best if you ask ingame (VoxPopuli shoutbox). Generally, it's done by standard GetText: you download the master file, then install PoEdit (or some other software), then do the translation and upload the language file (for that part you will need a upload permissions which is given out on request).

Just noticed that you have added Ads to the button of the site. Could you share how you were able to do this. I think a fair amount of people would be interested in this. Thank you.

There is nothing to say, really... Just one word "AdSense" :)

Really like the new fiefdom graphic. Looks great!

Heh, that one I didn't like :) Once again it was proven that tastes differ... :)

BTW, what you think of using Facebook as a change log? I did this for the first time and have mixed feelings. It's convenient, sure, but in terms of marketing (new players attracted) it does not seem to work (like 2 or 3 joined from FB total)...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Europe-1300/752036018176665