Europe 1300 - released & "postmortem"

Started by
36 comments, last by Truth3w3 9 years, 6 months ago

Just noticed that you have added Ads to the button of the site. Could you share how you were able to do this. I think a fair amount of people would be interested in this. Thank you.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Advertisement

That's awesome, the fact you finished something that took so long. Counteract that negative karma of people who give up.

And the most horrible thing is I was considering to cancel the project near the very end...

The game seems to need translating, i can translate into Dutch. (i got one working and two dead links in the translators office, not sure whether this office is supposed to be content or not)

It's best if you ask ingame (VoxPopuli shoutbox). Generally, it's done by standard GetText: you download the master file, then install PoEdit (or some other software), then do the translation and upload the language file (for that part you will need a upload permissions which is given out on request).

Just noticed that you have added Ads to the button of the site. Could you share how you were able to do this. I think a fair amount of people would be interested in this. Thank you.

There is nothing to say, really... Just one word "AdSense" :)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Ah okay. I was not sure if you had gone a different route. Thank you for the information.

Really like the new fiefdom graphic. Looks great!

Really like the new fiefdom graphic. Looks great!

Heh, that one I didn't like :) Once again it was proven that tastes differ... :)

BTW, what you think of using Facebook as a change log? I did this for the first time and have mixed feelings. It's convenient, sure, but in terms of marketing (new players attracted) it does not seem to work (like 2 or 3 joined from FB total)...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Europe-1300/752036018176665

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

There are a couple games similar to this. The most similar is Renaissance Kingdoms, which is very similar to yours, but more developed in some areas and less than others. It's been out for about 8 or so years and still receives updates every handful of months.

From what little I can gather from the game thus far (I think I'll try playing it as well), it has some of the same problems as Renaissance.

I would like to say that I think it's awesome you completed a game like this in scope. Second, I'd like to say my dream game that I'd want to make (and/or play!) is actually quite similar to this. So this is pretty neat to see.

There are a couple games similar to this. The most similar is Renaissance Kingdoms, which is very similar to yours, but more developed in some areas and less than others. It's been out for about 8 or so years and still receives updates every handful of months.
Heh, the funny thing is, even though I played these other games I didn't get them :) I mean, as a designer I know these are similar, but as a player... I just stare at them and wonder, why people would play them? So, from ths "genre" as a player I only understand the one I made :) Strange and funny (usually you play & understand the kind of game you want to make, at least the other games).

This also was one of the biggest problems during the development, I was unable to get into any similar game, so at best I could use them as references of some mechanics/things I should avoid (one of them being political correctness, it could kill a game like that).

it has some of the same problems as Renaissance.
Feel free to post these problems, as said above, I'm unable to really play the other games and I don't understand them so I'm not aware :)

Just wanted to let you know, this looks great! Very interesting setting, you don't see this that often.

The game looks fun and isn't that hard to understand IMO. What did you do to promote your game and how much people are actively playing it at the moment? And did you use playtesters to find design faults?

and isn't that hard to understand IMO.
Really!? Whoa! It was long time since someone said my game (any game) was not too complex and confusing :) It seems I'm making a progress :)

(or you just happen to be a hardcore player)

What did you do to promote your game and how much people are actively playing it at the moment? And did you use playtesters to find design faults?
I sux at promotion :( Mostly I rely on players doing it themselves (I know, not good). I also:

Added it to IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/europe-1300

Added it to VGG (more known as sister site of BoardGameGeek): http://videogamegeek.com/videogame/164367/europe-1300

Have a FB page (pathetic, got like 4 players total) https://www.facebook.com/Europe1300

Added to Gamejolt (pretty funsite with real players)

Some Reddit (not that bad but it's troublesome).

Got tons of players from various forums where players posted about it.

Also added the site to a few toplist... but these really went down the drain in last years, so not worth it.

Surprisingly GameDev.net is in the top 10 referers... (but not this topic, from my signature on various random topics) I suppose people you know will check your game even if you don't ask... But don't be fooled, designers are shabby players they just lurk and then perish when they fall in love with a new random prototype/alpha thing :D

How many players? Around 300 souls (real players who login every day), or 2,000 if I used other metric (as most games do) or 200,000 if I used some tricks, stretching and even other metric (it would still be technically true :D). If you asking about true/true it's 300, if you asking bacause you want to compare with what other indie games say then 600 active players, if you ask to compare with big companies that use all tricks to pad the numbers then definitely above 200k :)

It was in testing for 3 years (I know, too long).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement