Video Game Music and Sound Industry Survey

Started by
3 comments, last by nsmadsen 9 years, 8 months ago

Hello Game Dev Net community,

You may have read that the Gamasutra industry salary survey came out last week.

The results were a bit.....perplexing. Specifically, it would seem that "audio" salaries are higher than "programmer" salaries. What's with that?

This anomalous result is actually for a couple of reasons

• The survey received relatively few audio responses (this was mentioned in the survey report). Low response numbers mean low survey accuracy.
  • The survey is designed to track salaried employees-- But much of the work in music and sound is done by freelancers/contractors
  • The survey is sent to the GDC Attendee mailing list. This biases the results to those who attendeed GDC, which tend to be the most senior audio people. ("Low man on the totem pole" doesn't get sent to GDC)

To get some results more meaningful to our industry, I've created a brief (13 questions only) survey about contracts in game music and sound. If you have a moment and have worked in the game industry professionally in the past 12 months, please consider taking the survey about the last game that you worked on.

Please only take the survey about a game that you worked on in a professional capacity--i.e. you got paid for, and please try to be as accurate as possible.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GameAudioContractSurvey

I'll be posting the analysis and results of the survey sometime next week at www.GameSoundCon.com

Thank you!

Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

Advertisement

Hello,

Did you get any answers to your survey?

I am really interested by the results.

Ditto!

I got over 500 respondents to the survey!

I'll be slogging through the data over the next week (though also have 2 games to work on, so it might be a bit delayed).

Thanks to everyone who either filled it out, or forwarded it around!

Brian

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

Thanks Brian for spearheading this!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios