Just Lost Intellisense in VS2012

Started by
8 comments, last by GoCatGoGames 9 years, 8 months ago

The subject line says it all.

Everything was working fine, then, out of the blue, this afternoon I have no more Intellisense in VS2012 Pro. I've tried resetting the Import and Export settings back to the default Visual C# Development Settings, but that did squat. Also my Solution Explorer pane doesn't explore my solution (no more file hierarchy).

What gives? I'm no IDE expert so I don't fiddle with the settings much. I just know this "ain't what it used to be" at all. I've Googled, I've failed to fix it.

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

Advertisement

Try deleting/renaming the SOLUTIONNAME.suo file.

Other than that, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13375961/visual-studio-2012-intellisense-sometimes-disappearing-broken seems to have a few suggestions (1 of which you mentioned, but several others you didn't).

Hello to all my stalkers.

Thanks. I've managed to work through all of those suggestion earlier today with no luck. I'm wondering if this has something to do with Unity and the Mono version of .NET -- I was working with a newer version of .NET (4.5.something) yesterday on an unrelated non-Unity project.

Anyone think I'm on the right track with that notion?

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

Are you using any plugins for Visual Studio, especially ones which are Intellisense or Unity related?

Things to try:

- Delete your project/obj folder (and project/bin, if it exists). These folders are where VS puts its Intellisense databases and should be deleted in addition to the SUO file. Since you're using Unity, it's unlikely that the folders contain any other important data, but on a normal VS project, you may have other files in these folders that you DON'T want to delete. The important ones to delete are the .idb, .pdb, and .cache files.

- If using source control, sync to an older revision that you remember working.

- If you have any VS plugins installed (especially Intellisense related), try temporarily uninstalling them.

- Make sure Unity doesn't detect any compile errors, then delete the .sln and .vcproj files and regenerate them by double clicking a source code file from inside Unity.

- Unity creates two different SLN files. Try both of them to see if the problem is the same on both.

- If all else fails, you can also delete your project/Library and project/Temp folders. These usually don't cause Intellisense problems, though.

Hi there.

Had the same problem with vc2008 express after using it for 7 years the other week. I think it's happens some times when you edit a class you have allready created while the app is running( I think its intime debugging not sure but)only some times. the fix for vc 2008 was to delete the .ncb file in that apps folder

These have all been promising suggestions, but none of them have eliminated the problem. I've deleted .SUO and .SLN files (ankhd, I've not tracked down an .NCB file, though I don't know which "app" you are suggesting).

I did a repair installation of VS2012 -- which I've taken to calling the Mayan Doomsday IDE -- and then just created a new console application. Worked fine -- proper Intellisense, proper Solution Explorer hierarchy of files. Made a "Hello World" that compiled and ran perfectly.

Loaded my Unity project, same damn problem as before.

Loaded an old project, a little thing that I was using to test AI scripts, everything in VS2012 is acting Intellisensibly.

As soon as I sort out my morning errands I'm going to create another new Unity project and see what this one does. I can't say I enjoy the bi-monthly bouts of upgrade issues, random cock-ups, and general incompatibility with modern .NET that Unity Technologies has been providing. Always, always, always blame the tools! smile.png

Edited to Add: After completely starting a new Unity project (and deleting the previous one and salting the earth where it trod), everything is working fine again.

Back to my original question, though: What gives? Was this Unity or VS2012? Or me? I tried so many things that I don't know if something helped and what it was.

Intellisense (C++) is stored in sdf files. Delete them. Also check if you have a custom path in your options on where Intellisense database is stored. If so, check that this path exists and that it has enough space (and write access).

Also, disable external plugins. They could be causing a conflict.

Thanks, Matias -- I take a peek for .SDF files if this crops up again. I'm happy to say that VS2012 is completely cooperating with me for the moment.

You shouldn't have to delete the databases anymore. See http://www.gamedev.net/topic/658549-visual-studio-2013-express-desktop-intellisense-stopped-working/

Just rescan the solution.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

You shouldn't have to delete the databases anymore. See http://www.gamedev.net/topic/658549-visual-studio-2013-express-desktop-intellisense-stopped-working/

Just rescan the solution.

That didn't work, either -- tried it early yesterday. As I said above, I had to eliminate the offending project and start fresh before it worked.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement