New to the Field, looking for Advice.

Started by
3 comments, last by Randy Gaul 9 years, 8 months ago

Hey everyone,

I'm new to programming, and looking to dabble in game programming/design. I have 2 questions, 1 is pretty specific, the other, not so much.

1) What is the preferred coding language for gaming?

2) As somebody who is brand new, where is a good place to start? I figure that I shouldn't just start attempting to build a game engine (or should i?). But, I'm just uncertain where to start out as a new guy with little, to no experience (just a willingness to learn).

Advertisement

1) A lot of professionals have to use C++. Hobbyists are free to use whatever they like and the answer will vary wildly depending on who you ask. Usually a hobbyist will just pick a language and use it. What language you use to make something, as a hobby, will probably not matter as long as you're good at using it.

2) Just start learning a language and make something really small. I think I started with a turn based, text in the console dungeon crawler in Python :) You can also read a lot of books and ask questions on forums.

Start by looking at the pinned thread in the For Begginers subforum or the : http://www.gamedev.net/topic/651842-please-read-the-faqs-before-you-post-for-the-first-time/

Also, those are really common questions, search the For Begginers subforum and you'll find more answers that could help you.

Ok cool. I'm working on a turned based game in C++ right now, so I guess that I got lucky when I chose a language! I will definitely check the For Beginners, and I'm sure you will see me in the forums again! Thanks!

Side note, Randy, what do you like about Python?

I don't really like anything about Python anymore :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement