Python IDE

Started by
20 comments, last by Alessio1989 9 years, 8 months ago
Like smr, I've had good luck with Python Tools for VS2013. Despite the fact that the Express version of Visual Studio historically has not allowed plugins, PTVS 2.1 beta 2 installs even in the Express edition, which is pretty sweet.

It seems fairly happy to use whatever kind of python distribution you pair it with (I used Anaconda). It's got integration with pip and easy_install if you need to install other packages. It has a pretty convenient virtual environment management system as well.
Advertisement

I'd recommend using a minimalistic IDE such as Geany, without all the bloat necessary for big projects but that just stand in the way when learning.

If you'd rather use a Python specialized one, DrPython looks convenient enough.

For example MS Visual Studio 2013 would produce greatly optimised and efficiently compiled code compared to say code::blocks.

You are mistaking IDE for compiler.

It is possible, as an example, to configure code::blocks to use the visual studio 2013 compiler. The opposite is also true, configure visual studio to compile with MinGW.

At work most of us use PyCharm. Those that don't tend to use vim.

Like smr, I've had good luck with Python Tools for VS2013. Despite the fact that the Express version of Visual Studio historically has not allowed plugins, PTVS 2.1 beta 2 installs even in the Express edition, which is pretty sweet.

It seems fairly happy to use whatever kind of python distribution you pair it with (I used Anaconda). It's got integration with pip and easy_install if you need to install other packages. It has a pretty convenient virtual environment management system as well.

I like PTVS for big projects, but for someone learning Python it will be a bit much.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

I like PTVS for big projects, but for someone learning Python it will be a bit much.

It's what I started using when I started learning python. The OP says he's got 7 languages under his belt already, so I assume he can learn quickly smile.png It only took me a day to get up to speed with it.

It's what I started using when I started learning python. The OP says he's got 7 languages under his belt already, so I assume he can learn quickly smile.png It only took me a day to get up to speed with it.

To each his own I guess :).

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

There is no international law against bundling an IDE with a compiler, so naturally there are some who do that. Microsoft's Visual Studio traditionally comes with a compiler, as does/did Borland's Delphi or Atmel's AVR Studio. Most IDEs however don't come with their own compiler, such as QtCreator, Eclipse and yes CodeBlocks.

Even when an IDE is bundled with an Compiler, the compiler toolchain are always seperate executables, so that they can be used without the IDE. This also holds for Visual Studio. So any IDE with a reasonably flexible compiler invokation backend can use any compiler toolchain, even if that toolchain comes bundled with a different IDE.

You can configure Codeblocks to use the Visual Studio compiler, or the latex compiler for that matter.

I'd download latest Eclipse runtime (if you google around for "Eclipse luna runtime" you get links to 4.4 runtime), its 60Mb and has nothing but the barebones Eclipse runtime (no JDT nor additional bs).

Then you install PyDev Eclipse plugin through "Install New Software" as PyDev's site instruction says. That way you can get a pretty slim Eclipse install only for Python development (mine is 100Mb fully installed).

Then install additional stuff as needed (say, MercurialEclipse or EGit if you need them).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement