Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ulk

Schools...

ulk    122
I''m finishing my Bs degree in computer science this spring and was wondering what my possibilities were for further studies with emphasis on 3d graphics and game programming. Looking for schools preferably in europe but will really look at everything. Is anybody in the know?

meh    375
I''m currently in my first year studying for a BSc(Hons) in Computer Games Technology. The course is based in Dundee, Scotland and so far has been very good. They also offer an MSc course which I guess will interest you more.

http://www.abertay.ac.uk - Lots of info on the various courses available.

ulk    122
Yeah, I actually got an email from someone who knows someone who is taking the MSc at Dundee. But he said they were going to stop teaching it due to lack of interest. Is that true and is there no iterest among the BSc students to continue?

TheUlk

PS.
I''d love to go study in Scotland as I was born there

meh    375
As far as I''m aware there aren''t that many MSc students (6 or so at the most). The MSc is aimed at those who have a computing related degree but want to focus their skills set towards Game Dev rather than the BSc CGT students who get 4 years of it. At the moment I think the BSc course is in its first Honours year so there''s not been much chance to see if anyone stays to do the MSc.

If its being stopped due to lack of interest show some and stop it!

henryx    128
Hi there,

I teach on the MSc and BSc courses at Abertay in Dundee so let me help by explaining a couple of things.

Firstly, the BSc Computer Games Technology course is an Honours degree course which teaches many aspects of programming with a heavy bias towards games programming - there are obviously lots of other things taught on the course to give a balanced approach.

Secondly, the MSc Course is a one year course and is aimed at students with a good honours degree in computer science (or releated subject) who now want to apply their skills to computer games programming. So, in reality, these student will be competent computer programmers but will know very little about games programming.

The final thing is that we do not expect any of our BSc students to go on to do this particular MSc course since the BSc students will come out of their course as competent programmers in the area of computer games programming - so I hope you can see that this particular MSc course is not suitable for them.

Hope this helps

henry