How to achieve some folding paper effect like IOS game Tengami

Started by
2 comments, last by Kryzon 9 years, 8 months ago
This game is interesting at the intro scene,you open a book and there are some folding thing bend with it.
my english is bad,dont know if there is some term for this effect.

what i need is to achieve a plane folding like that.

the foot vertex lay on each of the book page.when close the book gradually,the folding plane fold,when open book,the plane unfold.

the hard part i dont understand is when the folding plane fold,it does not just fold,it seems it rotate toward z axis or someting.is there some fomular to calculate that?
Advertisement
You should post a video or screenshot of how the game looks, to support your question. We can't know what you're after without seeing it.

Pop-up book engineering deals with planes and angles considerably.
Once you understand how everything works, that each fold on a piece is equivalent to a hinge joint that breaks the piece in separate planes, then you can implement it with a physics engine perhaps.

You can learn about pop-up\movable book engineering with this book:
http://www.slideshare.net/eme2525/pop-up-a-manual-of-paper-mechanisms-duncan-birmingham-tarquin-books-popup-papercraft-paper-engineering-movable-books-2?qid=8c26f8e4-0faa-4594-999b-76d8db3c68df&v=default&b=&from_search=2
sorry,here is the video from youtube.it flip too fast.

and thank you kryzon for the keywords and book,it really helps.
Thank you for the video.

After reflecting some more, you can do something like that with just skeletal animation. It's easier than using a physics engine (which would require more accuracy from your layout), and you will have absolute control over how the animation plays since you will animate it by hand.
You would place and align the bones over each fold of a piece, and the base bones will be linked\parented to the pages that they're "glued" onto.
If you're using 3DS Max I can help you to some extent.

Another example of a "pop-up book" effect in games is from Yoshi Story, the level-select screens. But in this game they're not as exact as you would have in a real book, they're just there as an embellishment:
">

EDIT: One year later, I've learned of another resource from Dr. Xian-Ying Li:
http://cg.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn/people/~xianying/Papers/V-Popup/index.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement