C# for Noobs

Started by
4 comments, last by Lithander 9 years, 8 months ago

Hey,

Are there any sites similar to codeacademy, that teach C#? The only site I could find was programmr, but that doesn't really instruct, it just drops you right in.

Advertisement

Take a look at MSDN, specifically the Channel 9 section.

Direct Link

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C-Sharp-Fundamentals-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners

Cool. I just got into this this morning. So far, very helpful. Thanks for the tip! Question. How often is C++ used, and is it on its way out, as far as game programming?

Cool. I just got into this this morning. So far, very helpful. Thanks for the tip! Question. How often is C++ used, and is it on its way out, as far as game programming?

If the application you are making is memory intensive (thousands of assets / large world / etc) or (CPU intensive) C++ is useful. The reason being is it provides the programmers more control over memory and hardware.

The reason C++ is not a programming language recommended to beginners is due to that very fact. With more control/power, comes more 'responsibility' and more things you can mess up on..

Anyways, moral of the story: Larger games generally use C++ as it is necessary to do everything in their power to lower the memory usage and to get the game to run as fast as possible.

As for the question: Is C++ going anywhere?

Choosing a programming language is all about 'finding the right tool for the job'.

As I've said earlier, for larger games( and perhaps even smaller ones) C++ can be a very useful tool.

There are cases when C# is the correct tool, as well. It's especially useful for making Game Editors / Map Editors / etc.

Please note: For the majority of this, I am going off of what I have read in books & on the internet. If anyone sees any mistakes in what I've said, please correct me. I do not wish to mislead anyone.

How often is C++ used, and is it on its way out, as far as game programming?

Most games these days are made using a game engine (Examples: Gamemaker, Unity or Unreal Engine) and as a rule of thumb you can expect the game engine to be written in C++ whereas the users use a scripting language that might be everything BUT C++. So I'd suggest to stay clear of C++ as a noob and start with C# which is a very modern, fast (both in terms of compile times and execution) and elegant language. If you work on Windows then the development environment of choice for both C# and C++ is Visual Studio. It's telling that Visual Studio does a lot better at providing code completion and runtime debugging services for C# then for C++. Iterations happen a lot faster too. This makes so much of a difference that coding C# is just a lot more FUN then C++ nowadays.

My 2cents.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement