Portfolio Feedback / General Advice Request

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 9 years, 8 months ago

Howdy,

Im looking to transition into the games industry from Web Development (Where I am currently working), and am hoping to get some portfolio and "breaking in" advice. I am currently living in NYC, which has a relatively small game development community.

Since I am looking to work in either web development at a games company, or a more traditional gameplay/Systems programmer, i have my portfolio relatively split between various web projects and a game that I have been working on as a gameplay programmer for a while in my free time (which is Currently on Steam).

So I guess beyond any general advice any of you can give me on how to make myself more desirable to employers, I am thinking that my portfolio may not be focused enough any one given area (mainly because I haven't specialized in anything as of yet) so your thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.

Bigger things to note is that I do not have a college degree (Which is a very commonly discussed point here), so I am more or less leaning on the game I have been working on to compensate for that as a demonstration of ability. (I am also fairly young at only 19, if that affects any advice).

I am currently working at a very cozy, well paid job at a Web Development studio in New York, and I am expecting to take a pretty heavy pay hit if I were to transfer to the Game Industry. As such, College is not a very attractive option.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement

Im looking to transition into the games industry from Web Development ... I am currently living in NYC ... relocation is being considered... I do not have a college degree ... (I am also fairly young at only 19, if that affects any advice).

Your age absolutely does affect the advice, and so do other factors you didn't make clear.
Do you have legal work status in the US? WHY are you not going to college? What area are you considering relocating to? When are you going to relocate? Have you read this forum's FAQs?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Im looking to transition into the games industry from Web Development ... I am currently living in NYC ... relocation is being considered... I do not have a college degree ... (I am also fairly young at only 19, if that affects any advice).

Your age absolutely does affect the advice, and so do other factors you didn't make clear.
Do you have legal work status in the US? WHY are you not going to college? What area are you considering relocating to? When are you going to relocate? Have you read this forum's FAQs?

I updated the initial posting to make a bit clearer (Last Paragraph). Relocation, would probably be to the Seattle area, but that is a sort of last resort and wouldn't happen until well into next year (if at all).

So I guess beyond any general advice any of you can give me on how to make myself more desirable to employers, I am thinking that my portfolio may not be focused enough any one given area (mainly because I haven't specialized in anything as of yet) so your thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.

My first thoughts: No degree, no industry experience. You are competing against those who have some or both. Getting the degree is perhaps the easiest way to make yourself more desirable to employers at this point in your career.

I am currently working at a very cozy, well paid job at a Web Development studio in New York, and I am expecting to take a pretty heavy pay hit if I were to transfer to the Game Industry. As such, College is not a very attractive option.

Well paid is an interesting concept. You are living in the most expensive city in the nation, and among the most expensive cities in the world.

While you might be well paid today, consider the next 40 years of your life. Yes, the game industry does pay somewhat less unless you are specialized and in a senior role. The money will still be far better than the regional average pay.

Over the next four decades will you be able to consistently find jobs that pay well? You probably will not spend the rest of your life living in that city, or employed by that company.

Perhaps you have found that mystically rare job that will suddenly take off and give you ownership shares making you filthy rich. Or maybe you found a job that pays well and will give you an opportunity to save up for a few years.

At age 19 I imagine an unmarried young man fresh out of high school and optimistic about the world. The world is your oyster, you have all the time you can imagine for your pleasure, and you are indestructible. You probably haven't even experienced your first layoff.

Reality generally kicks in somewhere between your current age and the next six years. Hopefully it won't be too painful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement