Realtime or Turn Based combat use in game

Started by
2 comments, last by Gian-Reto 9 years, 8 months ago

Hello,

I have a question for the community and I was hoping to get some feedback and opinions on the decision I should make.

I am serveral months into creating an single player RPG. Im designing it to have a similar graphics style as the old pokemon games. So keeping that in mind, my questions is whether or not I should use a realtime battle system or a turn-based system.

I have both systems and gotten them to work. What I am trying to figure out is do you think when playing this style of game with this art style people will be more receptive to realtime combat or a turnbased system? Right now I'm leaning toward using the real-time system because it allows the player's experience to not be broken up by constantly changing to different screens for combat.

I appreciate any input on the decision. Thanks.

Nnoctural

Advertisement

Perhaps I will look into allowing someone to test both systems to see what they think goes with the game best. It also comes down to individuals preference on combat types, so no matter what I choose, someone would like it better the other way. Thanks.

It also depends on the feel you want the combat in your game to have.

Turn based systems are usually a better choice for tactics / strategy heavy titles (there is a reason why a lot of strategy fans still rate turn based strategy games higher than RTS games).

For an action/arcade type game, where you want to focus on the player immersion by simulating the flow and time pressure of real combat, the Realtime System will be more appropriate.

So I would first look into your Game design and what "style" you want to achieve when it comes to combat before making this decision.

I am pretty sure you can make a highly tactical game with a realtime system also... its just harder to achieve. Just as it is hard to make an immersive, full of action turn based mode (think of all the ways JRPGs tried that in the past. To me, none of them REALLY achieved this goal of immersion, even though they altered tactics just as in Chess with turn timelimits)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement