map borders in an open world game

Started by
23 comments, last by the incredible smoker 9 years, 7 months ago

Traditionally a combination of border types are used, for example any combination of:

• Water
  • Cliffs (fall to your death)
  • Mountains
  • Lava
  • Forcefields (better than an invisible wall)
  • Impassable forest
  • Fences/walls/buildings
  • Instantly fatal opponents
  • Game-specific arbitrary limits (e.g. collar blows your head off, game ends because you abandoned your quest, etc)
  • Limited resources (e.g. theoretically unbounded but you run out of air/die of radiation poisoning/etc)
  • Boringworld (can walk forever, nothing interesting will ever happen)

Islands are fine, but I personally like a combo both for variation sake and because I secretly believe I will find some way through. ;)

You forgot mine fields and angry animals that will eat you! :D

Looking for Java coder (smartfox) and 2D UI Artists for my Island Troll Tribes stand alone game: Here

Advertisement

You forgot mine fields and angry animals that will eat you!

I didn't forget. They haunt me. tongue.png

Mountains on two sides, ocean on two sides, and you're good to go. Toss in an impassable bog, and some regular ol' cliffs if the mountains get boring.

Depends on the game though. If in an urban environment, topple a few skyscrapers and collapse a few highway overpasses, and I'd be an ol` country bumpkin if that train didn't crash and go off-rail blocking the only other exit (doh!).

(Hint: Trains are long. Skyscrapers, when turned horizontally, are long. Mountain ranges and oceans are long. wink.png)

Flying island (my favourite :))

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I like the way they did it in the movie dark city. The city didn't have any exits or streets leading out it was just a large circle with a wall of buildings.

I like the way the they didn't it in the movie dark city. The city didn't have any exits or streets leading out it was just a large circle with a wall of buildings.

That was interesting. Inception was rather interesting also in that regard. A dream city where buildings and roads are moving around and unfolding as you explore, and steering and guiding you in the direction the game wants to take you.

I like the way the they didn't it in the movie dark city. The city didn't have any exits or streets leading out it was just a large circle with a wall of buildings.

That was interesting. Inception was rather interesting also in that regard. A dream city where buildings and roads are moving around and unfolding as you explore, and steering and guiding you in the direction the game wants to take you.

Now that would be interesting. It would take some doing but having the all paths lead you to the same destination would make an interesting game mechanic.With the city shifting and changing so you always arrive where the game wants you to be.

I would make a really really strong impossible monster fall from the sky and chase the player. First you would hear it voice cursing you out to turn around then it would appear and try to kill you. It would also be a lot faster than the player so trying to outrun it is impossible.

You could also tie some vital resource to a central location and make it diminish the farther the player gets from it: For instance, a mana stone that causes the player's spells to be weaker the farther they are away from it, or a microwave emitter that gives vehicles and gear less and less power beyond some range boundary.

You could also wrap the world if it's magical or supernatural, so that leaving east returns you to the west side of the map ala old 2d games.

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

You could also tie some vital resource to a central location and make it diminish the farther the player gets from it: For instance, a mana stone that causes the player's spells to be weaker the farther they are away from it, or a microwave emitter that gives vehicles and gear less and less power beyond some range boundary.

Interesting idea. That'd actually be an effective way of making the game more difficult the farther you travel outward, without unnaturally making monsters more powerful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement