Hope someone can have a look at my work

Started by
9 comments, last by dnk 9 years, 8 months ago

"Drone vs drones" by dnk.

Developed in Unity (standalone pc, mac, linux)

Here you can download full playable, free, no restriction, demo:

https://sites.google.com/site/dronesvsdrones/

Here I show a gameplay demo

DvsD would be a 3rd person (drone smile.png ) rpg shify shooter.

I 'd like to put remarks on stage random generation, enemy ai and weapons variety :

(machine gun, homing missile, energy weapons, flame thrower,...)

Any advice or criticism is well apricieted.

Regards

Advertisement

Looks interesting, from the video i think you should hide the cursor

Just going by the video it does look good although I do agree with Tariq that you should hide the cursor.

Looks very cool, one remark. It confuses me when the camera moves from 3rd to 1st person view, I'd just pick one

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Is the camera switching manual or automatic? Hard to tell from the video. If it's automatic, making it less abrupt would probably make it less jarring.

- There's a looping sound that's very unsettling. Is it from the engine\jets of the robot? I would change it to something more subtle\suiting, or something that's soft and modulated in pitch by the speed of the robot (when the robot speeds up, the looping sound goes up).
This is easily done by changing the audio channel frequency with an expression that takes the robot speed into account, such as this:
freq = 0.5 + ( robot_speed / ( max_robot_speed * 2 ) )

- The lighting effects from the energy shots are impressive, what technique is that?

- The level has absolutely no artistic lighting treatment, only a direct light that is shading the walls.
It also looks overall dark (in a negative way). You can establish a gloomy, dark atmosphere if that's what you want of course, but even then it needs contrast so it is visually interesting. Right now it is missing contrast and losing appeal because of this.
I would model in lamp objects on the ceiling etc. and add a lightmap to represent them. I would also increase the ambient light term to something slightly brighter.
The simple addition of a lightmap will make a lot of difference, it will join those walls and the floor together and add depth with large shadows.

- The dynamic objects also need some form of shadowing, especially when you have that impressive lighting effect for the energy shots. It doesn't need to be anything like a soft shadow map - a simple blob shadow will suffice.
But it needs to be there at least so we can have a notion of where the objects are placed on the floor.

If you need more help with the visual part, head over to the Visual Arts forum.

Thanks for the hints.

Every "energy bullet" has a "Point Ligh component" atached to it.

Other tecniques I used for energy weapons are :

Trail Render (green laser)

Particle sistem with only one particle and a particle sheet animator (red torpedo)

Line renderer (pulse red laser)

Line renderer with a peril nois algorithm (shock electrick bullet)

Is the camera switching manual or automatic? Hard to tell from the video. If it's automatic, making it less abrupt would probably make it less jarring.

automatic. I switch to first person view when you are to close to a wall. I'll work on it.

I would suggest to change the weapon-changing mechanism.

Its nice as an idea, but (personally) I think its rather confusing. I get the idea of choose 2 weapons of your choice and be ready to use at any time.

My suggestion:

- keep simple weapons for slot 1 (scroll up and down to switch accordingly)

- keep strong weapons/shield for slot 2 (pick them up or change them by pressing F)

Future Suggestion:

- Dont let the player has access to all the weapons. Use the xp trick to unlock and upgrade the weapons.

*Level 1 Keep the Simple Weapons

*Level 2 Unlock Secondary

*Level 3 Upgrade Existing Weapon or Unlock New Weapon

*etc etc

-I agree with Kryzon. The game need some lighting in it. To provide better visual for the player.

Future Suggestion:

- Dont let the player has access to all the weapons. Use the xp trick to unlock and upgrade the weapons.

*Level 1 Keep the Simple Weapons

*Level 2 Unlock Secondary

*Level 3 Upgrade Existing Weapon or Unlock New Weapon

Hi,

I agree, I would think more:

- between the shooter levels should be put the logical game task.

Good luck.

(c) 2000 by "vvv2".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement