Game Institute (again)

Started by
11 comments, last by GoCatGoGames 9 years, 8 months ago

So, I've been reading some posts all over the internet and on this forum, too.

But they are (almost all) quite old, so I decided to ask again.

What do you think about GameInstitute?

Is it still worth (49$ at the moment I'm writing)? Are they updating their courses?

I'm actually having a look at 3DBuzz, too.. if anybody has some comments on these, let me know

Advertisement
What is your goal? In other words, why do you want to use either of those sites?

By the way, $49 is nothing. A hamburger is not "worth" $49, but (depending on your goal) learning something could well be worth $49.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for your reply.

Well, learn how to code (I've started with C# now, but as far as I know, there's no big difference right now as I'm at classes and objects) and start coding games.

Final aim: Blizzard / Riot

Nearer aim: game developer

Final aim: Blizzard / Riot

Then you need a full-on university Computer Science degree, not a certificate from a learn-how-to-program-games website.

Moving this to the appropriate forum.
You should read this forum's FAQs: http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

Then you need a full-on university Computer Science degree, not a certificate from a learn-how-to-program-games website.

Sure, I'm going to the university in 2 months. But as some users suggested, I should get some projects done while I'm there, for my CV. So I wanted to know if they're a good start.

So, what do you think? Give me your opinion

Whatever method you want to use to start your learning prior to university is fine. $49 is nothing.

$49 is nothing.

Well... in the long term $49 is nothing. I agree that these days I'll shell out $50 for a book without much thought. However, the OP is a teenager who may not have access to much money. In the short term, if $49 is too much for you, then learn from other sources.

At your age (17 or 18) and pre-college status, there is not much you can do over two months that will radically transform your knowledge and ability.

If you want to study a language or learn a tool or technology, then go for it. But for the next several years you will be studying a wide range of topics in depth. Two months of your own undirected study is less than 5% of what you should get out of a 4 year degree. Sure, it is greater than zero, but be realistic at how much it actually is.

I encourage you to find some hobby projects you can build while in school beyond your class projects. If you can find ways to use the knowledge in your classes then great, but building some projects outside of class is a great way to build a useful portfolio and to gain experience.

I would not bother paying them.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

At your age (17 or 18) and pre-college status, there is not much you can do over two months that will radically transform your knowledge and ability.

Yeah, agree; but I just want to start a long term project, that's why I'm following a C# course (basic)

be realistic

...you're right. I have to think a while before doing it.

I encourage you to find some hobby projects you can build while in school beyond your class projects. If you can find ways to use the knowledge in your classes then great, but building some projects outside of class is a great way to build a useful portfolio and to gain experience.

OK, sounds great. I'd really love to make something on my own! That's why I thought I could buy GameInstitute's books, but it seems they are a bit outdated, aren't they? But their courses seem really huge and I'd not want to miss the chance to get them, if I can ever work something out from them. I don't know if they are (still?) great

I would not bother paying them.

Both GameInstitute and 3DBuzz?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement