• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How do I build an real, existing city in a game

This topic is 1260 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on a FPS game. I want to place the action in a real city from 1810 year. I got maps from museum, and a lot of photos, data, items etc from that time. My quiestion is where do I begin to create such city in Unity. I would like to create a map based on the real 1810 map. How do I do it? I haven't found any tutorial on how to create an existing terrain/location based on a reference in Unity. All tips would be appreciated.

Advertisement
This is something you need an experienced 3d artist (or more likely, a team of artists) to pull off. Not only do you have to model the buildings and other props in something like Max or Maya, they also need to be textured, the terrain needs to be painted, proper lighting must be added to the scene, VFX must be created to make it seem alive (good clouds, dust, moving trees, etc.), a soundscape needs to be created, and so on. Depending on whether you're going for a photo-realistic look or not will greatly change how much effort is required here, too.

I have a lot of buildings and items created in Blender. Now I need to create a terrain to place those all. I need to create rivers, hills etc based on the map. How do I do that?

Be aware that there are tools to automagically create realworld locations (at least the Terrain) inside of Unity.

"World Composer" is one of these tools (or was it called "Terrain Composer"?)... anyway, you can get it from the Asset Store for around 90$...

What it will do is giving you the option to pick a realworld location (You can search on a google maps like interface it seems), and then you can select the area to crop from the world map. The tool will the automatically create the Terrain Tile for it and, if you want, create a Texture taken from satellite images.

This way you can get the terrain AND a rough guideline which buildings go where, as the buildings will be visible topdown on the terrain.

Of course this is for current day citys, depending on the city the terrain might have changed a lot, as well as buildings being gone.

Google Sketchup

Google had the agenda for users to populate google earth with 3D models made in Google Sketchup, but Google found another method, so they sold Sketchup to Trimble.

You can still find some buildings on the Sketchup warehouse. You can also import terrain from google earth.

There is a "match photo" feature in Sketchup that helps to create buildings from reference photos.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement