Intersting Game Idea

Started by
18 comments, last by slayemin 9 years, 8 months ago

I am looking for advice whether I should learn to code or assemble a team or if I should kickstart it or if I should scrap the project.

This question doesn't fit in For Beginners (a technical forum), but it's not quite a Production question or a Business question either. Moving it to The Lounge.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

You have a game mechanic idea, not a game idea.

Flesh out the game design into a full fledged game in a coherent document.

It doesn't need to list everything, but people that read it should have the same vision as you do when they're done reading.

This is the first step to a game concept (even before actually starting to code).

I am looking for advice whether I should
a. learn to code or
b. assemble a team or if I should
c. kickstart it or if I should
d. scrap the project.

Well, you can't do B or C because you're not ready and, well, those won't work out given that you had to ask this question. You shouldn't do D, but you have to understand that it's not a "project" - it's just a game idea that isn't fully formed until it's written down fully, and you also know how it'll earn money. So I struck off B and C and D. Does that leave A as the only remaining option? No, it doesn't - there are also E and F and G (blanks that you can fill yourself). Do you want to learn to program? If so, do. If not, don't. There are other ways you can go.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

let me tell you something, the best way to do it, is you be the main one doing all the work. try to pay others to do some work and only join with ppl who you know and willing to work.

I remember getting together a team which didn't even work. we had good communication system. All roles filled up with people but no one wanted to work.

Getting a "team" together with only an idea will not go very well ( this has been talked about many times before) .

You need to:

1: Have a detailed plan on what you want your game to do, and how it will be accomplished.

2: Figure out which game engine you will want to use - or if you want to build a game from scratch.

3: Figure out which language you will need to learn to create your game - you will have to learn to code.

4: Produce a prototype of your game to show off.

5: Attempt to recruit or hire folks .

You do not need to be able to code, or do art, etc. But you do need a decent vision of the game and a way to communicate this very well to other people - whether through a game design document, storyboards, being an excellent communicator, etc.

But if you are just designing the game, you will realistically need to find funding. If you put together a really polished design you might get people interested in joining for fun, I guess.

Thank you Gian-Reto I appreciate the honesty and am planning to create a very basic combat ands physics game demo to show off the potential.

How about working on your C# skills first ?

Tell me:

Can you make a letter "fall" down a simulated grid in your C# debugger output ?

Can you make a letter walk and jump across a simulated grid in your C# debugger output ?

If your answer is "no", you are not even close to ready to attempt ""basic combat ands physics"" .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

let me tell you something, the best way to do it, is you be the main one doing all the work. try to pay others to do some work and only join with ppl who you know and willing to work.

I remember getting together a team which didn't even work. we had good communication system. All roles filled up with people but no one wanted to work.

Yep, that was my expierience too when I tried it 2 years ago.

In the end, from 7 people in the Team one other besides me did any real work, and he was quite good at it. Of course he lost interest quickly as I was to drowned in doing everything else on my own to really keep giving him interesting tasks.

So yeah, its hard finding guys that are not only interested, but also skilled and ready to work for free, and its even harder managing the team afterwards.

work for free
.. The topic started by madman is nice, however I am also looking for similar kind of idea... and looking for free artists and developer, 1-1 can do .. I work in a game testing company as a qa manager, so I know what, why and how but don't know if it is possible to engage people at no cost?

GameCloud is an ISO 9001-2008 TUV Austria certified game testing company providing full game testing services for various platforms and devices

engage people at no cost?

Engaging people at no cost is possible. But it is illegal in most country, it's called slavery :D

More seriously, I'm pretty sure people won't work for free. If you can't give them money, then you'll have to give them something else in return : experience, fame, future perspective, something to put in a portofolio.

In any case you'll have to give them really good reason to convince them to work for your project, and even better reason to stay with you until the end.

work for free
.. The topic started by madman is nice, however I am also looking for similar kind of idea... and looking for free artists and developer, 1-1 can do .. I work in a game testing company as a qa manager, so I know what, why and how but don't know if it is possible to engage people at no cost?

Yes, it's possible to recruit people for free. However, you get what you pay for. Expect your recruited people to be very inexperienced and very flakey. They are as committed as you are, and if you're not committed enough to pay people, they aren't committed enough to stick around and invest their time and energy into your project. They'll most likely do your project for about a week, get bored, and abandon it. 99.999% impossible to ship a game with these circumstances. So I say, get serious or go home.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement