Where did you attend college and where are you at now?

Started by
1 comment, last by Samith 9 years, 8 months ago
I wanted to ask really anyone who attended college for game dev, specifically for game art like 3d and 2d art. -Where did you go?
-Did you like it?
-Where are you at now and are you doing what you wanted to be?
-Where would you recommend going?
-What places should be avoided?
-brief summary of the experience would also be helpful.

Sorry if I am repeating and old topic but I'm just worried. I started thinking about digipen and then if that didn't work I would try full sail but I have heard a lot of bad things about it.

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated and if not then just anything you can add would be great. Thank you.
Advertisement

EDIT: Retracted. I took a cue from your post and filled in the blanks. My apologies.

Note: I'm a programmer and not an artist. I got a 4 year degree in computer science. Your mileage may vary with my advice!

I went to the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities. It's a massive public school; not a very hard to get into. It was the only school I got into and before attending I was sort of disappointed that I had to go there. I ended up loving it, and I truly believe it was the best option for me, even if I didn't realize it at first.

Things that were good about it:

-cheaper than private schools

-it's an absolutely ENORMOUS school. You can pursue any interest you have there

-very little hand-holding. No one cares about you there. It's entirely up to you to do what you need for your education (this sounds bad, but I think it's a good thing)

Cons:

-Not a lot of name recognition outside of the upper midwest region

So yeah, now I'm a big fan of state schools. Where I'm from tiny $50k a year private liberal arts schools are very popular, and people are pretty dismissive of the big public options, but I think going for the big state school is a fantastic option. It's cheaper and you have far more opportunity (and responsibility!) at the larger schools.

As for art stuff: I'm pretty sure most of the artists at my office went to two year art schools. Not gamedev specific schools, just regular art schools.

Warning: some serious off-topic ahead

It's a massive public school; not a very hard to get into. [...] Not a lot of name recognition outside of the upper midwest region
[...]
So yeah, now I'm a big fan of state schools.
It's stunning how different cultures are in this respect. Here (Germany) virtually all schools are public (and owned by the government, either directly or indirectly). A few schools (no universities that I know of, though) are operated by The Catholic Church. Those are rumoured to be on the upper end of education with brutal discipline much like on a 18th century slave ship, although I know no credible witnesses to back up this rumor.

Private schools (and universities) do exist, but they are rather rare and have the stink of being for the spoiled brats of the nouveau riche who are too stupid or too lazy (or both) to make it into a real school, and whose parents pay for getting good grades. Which, incredible as it sounds, is even true (I can attest that from a distant family member who went to such a school).

Funnily, you still manage to get a good job with a worthless degree that you bought from a worthless school (and everybody knows you did!). Not sure how this happens, but it's presumably because the people hiring you may have gone to the same kind of school... laugh.png

</off-topic>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement