Is it possible that I just simply lack the required intelligence?

Started by
11 comments, last by cooljava50544 9 years, 8 months ago
It takes many students 4 years of dedicated study in a university to barely be able to qualify for a decent internship or entry-level job in the games industry.

If learning to program where all that easy, everyone would do it and we'd all be making minimum wage. Learning any skill requires the same process: persevere, practice constantly, and don't be afraid to ask for help when you're stuck. smile.png

Yes, that is important too.

Speaking from my own expierience, I did an apprenticeship as Programmer before going to study CS. My last year of apprenticeship I spent in a Programming Team, we learned Java in School for a year during the apprenticeship.

I literally had no idea about this weird OO thing and Java, until the Boss of the team I did the last year of my apprenticeship in decided to pick a java project for the practical part of my final exams.

I had to understand Java in a week to get a good grade and not fail the exams. Still, the year before I literally sat about 4 hours per week trying to learn Java and couldn't even grasp the concepts of OO smile.png

So don't underestimate Java. Even though people say its easier than other programming languages... if its your first language (or first OO language), it will take you some time to understand it.

Advertisement

My personal opinion that it doesn't matter how smart you are to learn something, only that it will affect how long it will take you to learn. If you ask any programmer, they will tell you about a 'click' when they understood how the code was interacting with it self. For some it takes a week, some a month... I have just finished a computing degree, and at the end of the 3rd years some people still didn't understand basic coding principles.

There are different ways of learning too, some find books easy to learn from, others prefer to do it them selves (trial and error) and others need a 1 on 1 teaching. maybe try switching your learning methodology if reading books isn't for you. There is a plethora of videos on the internet, The New Boston being a fantastic one for beginners such as yourself (although he is hated by some on the internet, as he tends to teach bad habbits).

Good luck!

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

It takes many students 4 years of dedicated study in a university to barely be able to qualify for a decent internship or entry-level job in the games industry.

If learning to program where all that easy, everyone would do it and we'd all be making minimum wage. Learning any skill requires the same process: persevere, practice constantly, and don't be afraid to ask for help when you're stuck. smile.png

Yes, that is important too.

Speaking from my own expierience, I did an apprenticeship as Programmer before going to study CS. My last year of apprenticeship I spent in a Programming Team, we learned Java in School for a year during the apprenticeship.

I literally had no idea about this weird OO thing and Java, until the Boss of the team I did the last year of my apprenticeship in decided to pick a java project for the practical part of my final exams.

I had to understand Java in a week to get a good grade and not fail the exams. Still, the year before I literally sat about 4 hours per week trying to learn Java and couldn't even grasp the concepts of OO smile.png

So don't underestimate Java. Even though people say its easier than other programming languages... if its your first language (or first OO language), it will take you some time to understand it.

I feel lucky now lol

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement