??? CMakeLists.txt
??? library
    ??? CMakeLists.txt
    ??? include
    ?   ??? library
    ?       ??? library.hpp
    ??? src
        ??? library.cpp

Where app is an executable and depends on the shared object another_library and another_library depends on another shared object library.

Question 1

Since another_library needs to include header files from library, is it ok for another_library/CMakeLists.txt to include the directories by using the following?

include_directories ("${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/library/include")

It feels a little wrong to be assuming things about where the top library folder is placed. Moving it to another location (in a subdirectory somewhere for example) would mean having to edit another_library/CMakeLists.txt to include the new location of library.

Question 2

app is the executable, and I've seen a lot of people configure their executable directly in the top level CMakeLists.txt rather than doing it in app/CMakeListst.txt. What are the pros/cons of either technique?

Question 3

How and were do I install resource files (such as images, config files, etc.)?

Sova    356
  1. You're the boss of your project directory structure! It is what you say it is, and therefore there are no assumptions made. If you insist on future-proofing, you can define a variable in the top-level CMakeLists.txt that would hold the include directory for library. Then use it in another_library CMakeList.txt.
  2. Do whatever makes the overall structure clearer to you. I have no opinion either way.
  3. On Linux: probaby under /usr/shared/app or /usr/local/shared/app. On Windows: in the installation directory. I haven't the foggiest about OSX.

HTH

l0calh05t    1796
  1. Does another_library use library? You should consider using target_include_directories instead of include_directories
  2. I typically use a CMakeLists.txt for each target. This is advantageous should you at some point decide to make the projects individually buildable (I usually have a cmake_minimum_required() and project() in every target-CMakeLists)
  3. As Mnemotic said. OSX uses so called App Bundles afaik, which is similar to the windows solution, but packaged in a zip.