Why use linux to dev games?

Started by
22 comments, last by Mindwarp 22 years, 5 months ago
Nah, the origional point wasn''t saving money, but why develop on Linux. By proving that most of the free software you want to use also runs on Windows, then you''re back to the point of which OS to use to develop. =)

Personally, I''m a Linux advocate. I think it''s a great OS. I''m also a so-so Open Source Software(OSS) advocate. I think OSS is great in an ideal world, but unfortunately, we''re not in an ideal world. I wish we were. =(

I think the biggest barrier to Linux isn''t that it''s open source, but that most Linux users won''t pay for applications. Companies are willing to pay for support contracts and software licensing on OSS, but end users aren''t ready to go there yet. Until then, there just isn''t the drive to create robust, stable software.

Personally, I wish Microsoft would develop their applications to run on Linux and even build their own GUI shell. But, again, not an ideal world we live in =)

I hope in the future companies will invest in OSS programmers and just hire them to adapt OSS packages to a company''s specific needs. But so far, most companies are still willing to pay for their own development from scratch. Though IBM is making some positive changes in that regard.

We''ll have to see how it all plays out. But the great thing about OSS is their willingness to port to Win32. I''m glad the spirit behind OSS continues beyond the OS Religion Wars!

Rube.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Rube
Nah, the original point wasn't saving money, but why develop on Linux. By proving that most of the free software you want to use also runs on Windows, then you're back to the point of which OS to use to develop. =)

I think it was to save money (maybe I interpret arguments differently ), and Linux happened to be one of the options to turn to. There's no reason NOT to use Windows if you already have paid for it, unless it can't do something you want it (doesn't have the feature, doesn't have the software, technically lacking, whatever).

I personally still refrain from writing any single OS (whether that single OS is Windows, Linux, or whatever) only software, I like to give people options. I try not to enforce those boundaries external to what I have control over .

[EDIT: Fixing typos. Stupid quarks in the English language, heh]

[Resist Windows XP's Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Edited by - Null and Void on November 6, 2001 6:28:44 PM
Bleh... just stick to writing pure DirectX/Win32 code. Those linux hippies won''t pay for your games anyway! They''re not at all like windows users, who pay for all the software they have! Linux users are the type who would trade copyrighted/commercial products over filesharing systems and IRC! Not windows users, no sir! The evil GPL gnomes will steal your source code, too! And everyone knows that by letting other people look at your code, the blind idiot God Azathoth will spread chaos throughout time and space, and great Cthulhu will awaken from his sleep of death in R''lyeth!! Don''t let that happen! Cross OS/Platform software is bogus! Everyone uses windows anyways! When is the last time you''ve seen someone use something other than windows!? ..
No, macOS doesn''t count. Thats for trendies and soccer moms!
UNIX derivatives? Those are only used on stodgy 40-year old monotlithic servers! What kind of nerd are you!?
Linux is for peacenicks and hippies, man. They don''t pay for stuff anyway.
Consoles!? You can''t develop for those on computers!
See what I mean! Everyone uses windows! We should all write 100% windows code from now until eternity! MFC forever! Down with standards! Microsoft is the only standard you need!

Whats a "pozicks"?

...bleh.. I needed that little rant..
Lol .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement