Staying Motivated

Started by
19 comments, last by Gian-Reto 9 years, 7 months ago

Well I have started making a schedule of my life and I think it will help, I'm going to do some today and see if I can get a rhythm going. I like the quote idea though. Really helps. I had been focusing on one small part at a time, and I do enjoy programming the gameplay, but I had cut down a game so that I was working with a smaller project but that wasn't as fun as the bigger one (not really big but it was a space game and I hadn't quite figured out how to do movement in space just yet so I made it 3rd person shooter) but I think i have sorted out how to make the bigger one. I love every part of making something (even if I am no good at it like the model creation) but I believe I'm a decent programmer and I have so many different projects all written out which I have designed myself that I haven't seen before some that are more just amalgamations of other ideas into one. I tried music design too but I don't know music so I will pay someone for that. But creating is fun. Not worried about making money off it.

Seems like you are on a good path anyway. As long as you really enjoy something you should not have a problem working on it... just remember that there always will be the less enjoyable parts, its when you manage to grind through those you can really start achieving your goals.

Cutting things down is always a good idea at first. You can always go bigger when you get more expierience and the confidence that you could move to the next difficulty level without loosing your motivation.

About "not being good at it"... there is nothing stopping you from getting good at something you are interested in other than yourself. All you need you can find on the internet. In some cases, some additional hardware can help (graphic tablet for arts, good speakers for music creation), but even there you can find almost-pro gear for consumer prices if you shop around and read some reviews. 3D Model making and Music making is not black magic, just a lot of skill and hard work and time involved.

What you need to be aware of is the more areas you are trying to learn (and try to be good at), the more you will loose focus. Especially as long as you are not very good at anything, it is most probably advisable to stick to something (like maybe programming in your case), while keeping your meddling in the other topics (3D Modelling, 2D Graphic design + texturing, Music) to a minimum. Of course your mileage may vary...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement