SOL Online...getting there

Started by
14 comments, last by theropod 22 years, 4 months ago
take a look at this screenshot... the game is definitely getting there but we need some more staff (and perhaps for the GeForce3 (or 4 or 5 or 6) to become a standard before most people can run even our demo,... theropod Edited by - theropod on November 5, 2001 9:55:47 PM
Use the WriteCoolGame() function.Works every time.
Advertisement
Have to say it looks quite impressive...
-- Supercytro
Lookin good so far theropod. You have a website for the game we could visit ocasionally?
It looks like a commercial game! Great work (i have no geforce so , d'oh).

Edited by - Jonus on November 9, 2001 5:03:11 PM
no specific website dedicated to the game but you can look at my main site for developers and that.

http://www.realgamez.f2s.com

its got a bunch of articles by me and some other stuff...ill be putting updated info on SOL on there.
of course anyone wanting to work on the project - any help would be appreciated. code-wise, im using D3D retained mode because of its simple .x file support and high-level scene processing abilities...it took about 2 hrs for me to learn the basics and SOL is just a step on from there,...

modelling is a big part of the development - there''s like over 1000 different ships in the game, its gonna go on about 10 cds or 2 dvds. hopefully we''ll get it published and be able to shell out the big bucks to those who help.

that''s a point too - anyone got a kinda backdoor method of getting a game to a big publisher? they dont take much notice of a 14-yr old with a great unimplemented idea...

email me at theropod@paradise.net.nz if you are interested.
wholy moly... 1000 ships.. even at 5 hours each ship, that''s 208 days of solid modeling. Or 625 days if you work a normal 8 hour day and don''t even take weekends off.
Actually I doubt all the ships are going to take 5 hours each. I''m guessing theres going to be a few smaller ships (fighters, shuttles, etc). The biggest part is going to making textures for them all. But even two or three people could do nothing but textures. Some of those being reusable. Still a lot of work but probably average like commercial games. Which I have to agree that the screenshot looks pro to me. Again kudos theropod.
Still, any model that''s done in less then 3-5 hours is hardly going to be refined. Sure, i could throw together something in an hour, but there''s a lot of little things to be done to a model that can change it from getting a reaction like:

yep, that''s a ship

to:

wholy @@#$ that''s awesome.

I mean, it''s your project, do what you wish with it. But i personally would rather have 50 VERY COOL ships that are very refined then having 10,000 ships that are thrown together for the sake of having them. We''ll have around 30 ships in our game, and that''s PLENTY of work for me to do.
hey there''s very little unrefined about the models other than texturing which i still need to work on. i''ve decided (mainly thanx to your feedback )that we might cut back a bit on ship counts, but not so far that the player soon knows all of the ships and their abilities. i want the gameplay to be deep and involving and not a "perfect data" scenario like chess...not that i have anything against chess.

look, i understand your comments and it may end up (when we finally release) that theres a lot of ships that get chucked. i''m still in school, so i dont really have hours, but yeah i still shouldnt waste them.

hey, this is planned to be a MMORTS, like an MMORPG but a strategy title. i need people to operate things like trade routes and shipyards and the "administration" of the galaxy so if you''re interested and got a few hours a month to keep the virtual galaxy ticking along...you''re welcome. in fact more than welcome.

and so is any feedback. as usual.

now for a bit of story (tell me if its too boring):
the game is set roughly 200 years into the future. we''ve got space travel all sussed and can use hyperspace to get from world to world in the blink of an eye (or nearly so, it really depend on your processor speed).

we met a race called the Qatya, who turned out to be among the most devious scum ever to cross a science fiction screen. they offer to share their technology with the people of earth and its many colonies, and then encourage certain high-ups to merge the big transnationals that practically control the world to form a united ruling council. Now this is where it gets interesting, or near so. the Qatya possess mind-control technologies that they (obviously) keep quite secret. they manipulate most of the 14 on the council into plotting against all the others and in a sense, destroying the world from the inside. its like the political system just rots. there''s a classic nuclear war on earth and the power of all these people crumbles. the Home Fleet of earth, consisting of a half-dozen kinda average cruisers, drives off the local Qatya influence, but gets creamed (as you''d expect) in the process. the net effect is that the colonies get cut off from earth and start up their own little systems of government, played by...the players of the game.

because everyone hates everyone in these games, there''s a lot of bloody battles between colonies and the galaxy is never the same again. and thats the game, really. has it been done too many times before? is is too cliched?

theropod

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement