You're a witch/demon hunter/slayer. You're likely to carry...

Started by
29 comments, last by Thaumaturge 9 years, 7 months ago

That's a very interesting approach to books. Unfortunately, most suggestions imply that most of the 'action' would either occur from UI-play or be a central part of the game. I'm mostly looking for tools that have a direct effect on gameplay such as 'press A, slash your sword' kind of interaction.

If I'm to include books at all, I need to have 3 solid standalone actions when pressing a key.

1 - Would be a nice way to explain inventory as a whole, but it's mostly just theme-related, not an actual gameplay role per se.

2 - Not bad, but it comes with a system, I'm actually trying to keep things simple. The focus is really on the tools you gather and what they can do.

3 - It's a nice twist, I might consider it, though my current 'warp-mechanic' works well.

4 - Kinda like the magic mirror in ALTTP I presume?

5 - I'd rather keep bossfights a surprise (why not try instead of pretend?)

6 - Possibly, though I already have a talking sword for this purpose.

7 - Would this be a passive effect on the usual map system? I'm afraid I don't plan on using a quest-based approach...

8 - That was a neat mechanic, but it would require a game centered around this book concept. I like the limited approach, which forces some decisions, and I particularly enjoy the risk/reward of jumping into the book to defeat the demons and risk remaining trapped (it sounds worse than death).

Advertisement

Any idea how I might implement some form of fragmentation grenade in a low fantasy medieval setting?

Black/gun powder? Something magic?

In what way do you feel candles would be superior to a torch specifically? I'm not aware of any properties 'wax' might have, but you seem to be hinting that it might.

I don't think they're superior in general -- if you're just after good lighting or an ignition source they're inferior -- I was suggesting them as an additional item rather than a replacement for a torch. They have some potential uses that a torch might not though -- you might need a more subtle light-source, or multiple light-sources, or as mentioned they may be required for certain rituals. I didn't have any specific properties of wax in mind, but figured anything might make a potential spell ingredient. Wax could also be used to contain things or to coat something that would otherwise be dangerous to handle directly.

Interesting. Are you aware of any trope where this would be applicable?

Unfortunately I can't remember the specific example, but I do recall encountering a monster in an AD&D campaign which was vulnerable to glass weapons.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Any idea how I might implement some form of fragmentation grenade in a low fantasy medieval setting?

Black/gun powder? Something magic?

In what way do you feel candles would be superior to a torch specifically? I'm not aware of any properties 'wax' might have, but you seem to be hinting that it might.

I don't think they're superior in general -- if you're just after good lighting or an ignition source they're inferior -- I was suggesting them as an additional item rather than a replacement for a torch. They have some potential uses that a torch might not though -- you might need a more subtle light-source, or multiple light-sources, or as mentioned they may be required for certain rituals. I didn't have any specific properties of wax in mind, but figured anything might make a potential spell ingredient. Wax could also be used to contain things or to coat something that would otherwise be dangerous to handle directly.

Interesting. Are you aware of any trope where this would be applicable?

Unfortunately I can't remember the specific example, but I do recall encountering a monster in an AD&D campaign which was vulnerable to glass weapons.

I'm trying to keep this exempt from gun powder if possible (given that there won't be guns to begin with), and my low-level setting assumes that magic is extremely rare so the player will rely upon artifacts most of the time. I assume I could have these consumable artifacts that explode upon being cast, but it does beg the question: why not bombs? If magic artifacts are so rare and valuable, using consumable ones instead of more mainstream explosives might appear a bit odd.

Glass might have a too narrow purpose unless I tap into some serious trope. Possibly gems though (I seem to have googled up something interesting about the properties of some gemstones).

I've only skimmed this topic, so my apologies if this has already been raised but one thing that might be worth mentioning is that, depending on the lore that you go with, a sword--especially one that can cut effectively--might make a good choice, as beheading is a not-uncommon means of either slaying or slowing supernatural creatures, if I'm not much mistaken. Offhand, I recall stories about killing vampires in this way and revenants of one sort or another being prevented in this way (behead the corpse before burial, and in some cases place the head between the corpse's knees, in order that it not rise to plague the living).

Additional measures--burning especially--may be called for, but a beheading is generally a good start. (Indeed, some sort of magical/alchemical bottled fire might be another good addition to the hunter's arsenal.)

Other weapons than a sword might work--an axe or polearm especially.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I find myself often trying to stay clear from the sword given that it's an over-used weapon, oftentimes without much reason or purpose.

I'm very glad you brought up its usefulness here, as I tend to overlook the sword as being a viable option. I thought the hunter would be more of a crossbow/axe kind of hybrid, but sword may very well be more efficient.

Well, in all fairness a crossbow has the advantage of attacking from range--but (in general) a significant disadvantage in the time taken to ready the next attack. This can be mitigated somewhat by multi-shot bows, mechanical devices and outright magic, I imagine, but a sword (or axe, polearm, or other melee weapon) has the advantage of not requiring resetting. I could see it as a means of weakening a foe at range before closing, however. Of course, you may decide to dispense with or significantly mitigate the issues of resetting or ammunition for the purposes of fun gameplay.

As to alternative uses for a crossbow, it can be done--look at the first two Thief games for some alternative uses for a bow: (off the top of my head) rope arrows, water arrows (with which to douse fires), holy water arrows (which are, of course, deadly against the undead), fire arrows (which explode on contact), gas arrows, moss arrows (which produce sound-damping moss on contact), and noisemaker arrows.

Another thought: what about a hollow mace--essentially a cross between a mace and a censer: place a liquid or powder in the mace-head, and it's dispensed on each hit or swing, by shock-activated valves or simple holes, respectively. This could be used to dispense burning liquids, holy water, garlic dust, silver dust and more besides.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I thought the hunter would be more of a crossbow/axe kind of hybrid, but sword may very well be more efficient.

This sort of consideration needs context:

• what monsters are being hunted?
  • how do they fight back?
  • what other cases of combat deserve an investment of suitable weapons and related resources?

For example, good crossbow targets are hurt seriously enough by one hit to fall down or, at worst, wander away harmlessly to die elsewhere, while bad crossbow targets are likely to just get angry if hit. Since a bow can be reloaded much faster, it's usually better because the range of good targets includes anything that can be brought down with 2,3 or more hits (depending on how long it takes to fight back), leaving only some niches for the higher power crossbows: extremely long range, armored targets, anything that allows only one shot before reacting very effectively. What kind of armor are witches and demons wearing? How fast are they with magical attacks and movement?

Another example: melee weapons and defensive equipment. An axe might be good to decapitate a vampire in combat, but worse than a wooden staff if the vampire is fast and armed with a rapier. Long polearms might keep creatures of the night at a distance, but not among thick trees and bushes. Heavy steel armor is effective, unless "heat metal" spells like in D&D are common enough to become a standard tactic.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Well, in all fairness a crossbow has the advantage of attacking from range--but (in general) a significant disadvantage in the time taken to ready the next attack. This can be mitigated somewhat by multi-shot bows, mechanical devices and outright magic, I imagine, but a sword (or axe, polearm, or other melee weapon) has the advantage of not requiring resetting. I could see it as a means of weakening a foe at range before closing, however. Of course, you may decide to dispense with or significantly mitigate the issues of resetting or ammunition for the purposes of fun gameplay.

For gameplay reasons, I'm ok with melee being the better choice: no ammo expenditure, faster firing rate, but the wielder takes more risks (closing on prey), so I'd say the above is correct and desirable.

water arrows (with which to douse fires)

I remember this playing in favor of stealth. It was a neat/original concept that was well used in the context of that game. Thanks for reminding me.

That being said, unless my hunter plans on doing stealthy approaches (which he might), the applications of water-arrows are limited I fear.

gas arrows

What kind of gas?

Another thought: what about a hollow mace--essentially a cross between a mace and a censer: place a liquid or powder in the mace-head, and it's dispensed on each hit or swing, by shock-activated valves or simple holes, respectively. This could be used to dispense burning liquids, holy water, garlic dust, silver dust and more besides.

I can see that working as a blessed mace, but making it hollow specifically instead of just anointed seems a bit overkill? I mean, you could bless a mace, and it is the symbol that counts I'd imagine. Also, it feels like keeping track of a variable (how much liquid is there left in the mace?) for limited reasons.

It would work best with something permanent (such as the garlic you've also suggested).

For example, good crossbow targets are hurt seriously enough by one hit to fall down or, at worst, wander away harmlessly to die elsewhere, while bad crossbow targets are likely to just get angry if hit. Since a bow can be reloaded much faster, it's usually better because the range of good targets includes anything that can be brought down with 2,3 or more hits (depending on how long it takes to fight back), leaving only some niches for the higher power crossbows: extremely long range, armored targets, anything that allows only one shot before reacting very effectively. What kind of armor are witches and demons wearing? How fast are they with magical attacks and movement?

I'd like to think most monsters will fit either of these categories:

1 - Weaklings that fall to one shot from a crossbow

2 - Bosses that might take a lot more hits, but are impervious to "puny arrows". (Armored juggernauts).

Another example: melee weapons and defensive equipment. An axe might be good to decapitate a vampire in combat, but worse than a wooden staff if the vampire is fast and armed with a rapier. Long polearms might keep creatures of the night at a distance, but not among thick trees and bushes. Heavy steel armor is effective, unless "heat metal" spells like in D&D are common enough to become a standard tactic.

Indeed, I chose to go with smaller melee weapons, assuming the player would make a dedicated attempt to close on their target when they resort to melee. Tinkering with hand axe, sword and club currently.

With regards to the water- and gas- arrows, I was just listing the arrows available in Thief as examples of the potential in trick arrows--that they can be used as delivery devices for quite a range of effects--and not to suggest those for your specific game, as I recall.

With regards to the mace, the "fluid level" would simply be another ammunition counter, effectively, but that may not work well in your game. You could have the mace magically produce the fluid (or even simply choose to ignore the amount of fluid present, as some games do with projectile ammunition), thus obviating the problem of keeping track of the fluid level.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

With regards to the water- and gas- arrows, I was just listing the arrows available in Thief as examples of the potential in trick arrows--that they can be used as delivery devices for quite a range of effects--and not to suggest those for your specific game, as I recall.

Just looked up the gas arrow. Was wondering what type of gas. Turns out it puts enemies to sleep? Could be redundant with other "stunning" effects, but still interesting.

With regards to the mace, the "fluid level" would simply be another ammunition counter, effectively, but that may not work well in your game. You could have the mace magically produce the fluid (or even simply choose to ignore the amount of fluid present, as some games do with projectile ammunition), thus obviating the problem of keeping track of the fluid level.

I could always abstract it in some ways.

Thanks for the suggestions!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement