You're a witch/demon hunter/slayer. You're likely to carry...

Started by
29 comments, last by Thaumaturge 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm currently toying with a playable character that has a background in with/demon hunting and slaying.

I'm wondering what gameplay 'tool' he should have at his disposal that is both fun and on-theme.

So far, I've worked along the lines of figuring out what he's likely to hunt, and bring a tool that somehow works for that, but I find out that the hunter is not likely to know what he's hunting for so that he should have some versatile tools with him so as to avoid overburden.

Versatile tools I've figured so far:

- Silver dagger / stake

- Holy Water flask

- Torch (light source, can be throw for distant light source, can burn nearby enemies susceptible to burning (such as a troll for example))

I'm falling short of anything exciting this far.

Any suggestion?

Advertisement

Molotov cocktails and a glock? That's what I'd bring. tongue.png

If you want to theme it better, dip your silver bullets in holy water and etch crosses in them.

If medieval setting, I'd bring a sword - cold steel or damascus steel, probably a scimitar with a long silver parrying dagger as well - with a couple leather pouches packed full of gunpowder with long but quick-burning fuses for remote detonation. Bonus points if I get a few tubes filled with greek fire I can blow into people's faces.

I'd also bring a bible, and some "holy water" (read: strong brandy as a painkiller and antiseptic).

It might be helpful to brainstorm by sections.

Section 1: "Normal" adventure/survival/camping gear

This section depends how much stuff people would need to carry just to make a trip. This includes money objects of various kinds that the hunter would need in different regions.

Section 2: Monster detection gear

Stuff that the hunter uses to locate/track/uncover monsters. Consider whether monsters would hide, or do they just show up? Do they have lairs? are the lairs hidden? Can normal people see the monsters? What does the hunter have that allows him to see them or know where they are? Do monsters need to be summoned? Are there items required to open gates to lairs/crypts?

Section 3: Monster trapping gear

Stuff used to trap or set up traps for monsters. Does the hunter need to capture monsters? How would he subdue the monster and bring it back? Does the hunter need to stalk the monster and wait for it to appear? Can the hunter normally defeat a monster in combat? If not, how does he weaken the monster before a fight? How many monsters would be too many for the hunter to fight at once?

Section 4: Defensive gear

Stuff that protects the hunter during a fight. How do the monsters attack? What can block or weaken monster attacks? What can help the hunter escape if there are too many monsters to fight?

Section 5: Assault gear

Stuff the hunter uses to attack during combat. What weapons does the hunter use? Is the weapon the same kind that could be used against human? Is the weapon unique? Did the hunter design it himself? Do all hunters so similar weapons that distinguish them from normal warriors? Does the weapon designed to fight against one monster, or a group of them? Does the weapon use ammo?

Section 6: Communication gear

Stuff the hunter uses to communicate with other hunters, his boss, demons, or other factions, etc. What is the social status of hunters? Do they have special privileges? Do they need to carry licenses? Are hunters competitors? Do hunters have factions? Do hunters kill one another? How does a hunter know if another hunter is in his faction?

Section 7: Keepsakes

Stuff that the hunter keeps around for spiritual or emotional reasons.

Section 8: Loots/trophies

Stuff that the hunter is meant to collect from the adventure/monsters.

Section 9: Pets

Pets/horses/companions or other interactive beings that go with the hunter.

Molotov cocktails and a glock? That's what I'd bring.
If you want to theme it better, dip your silver bullets in holy water and etch crosses in them.

If medieval setting, I'd bring a sword - cold steel or damascus steel, probably a scimitar with a long silver parrying dagger as well - with a couple leather pouches packed full of gunpowder with long but quick-burning fuses for remote detonation. Bonus points if I get a few tubes filled with greek fire I can blow into people's faces.

Funny. That's a very pragmatic yet exclusively belligerent approach to 'hunting'. I figure that, if the threat is known and movement is minimal, that'd make sense, but I envisioned a much different outlook. I have a feeling my character has been journeying without a home for a while and hunts whatever he hears about. Part of his skillset is to improvise with whatever he has, and I'm assuming the backpack is filled with great artifacts of some kind.

I'd also bring a bible, and some "holy water" (read: strong brandy as a painkiller and antiseptic).

Actually sounds great. Bible can serve many uses, but brandy is by far the most interesting 'tool' to bring. It has many uses, including acting as fuel if necessary.

In movies, the 'bright guy' always invents a contraption from whatever is present in the room and I always feel there's too much luck involved. A good all-purpose tool can really create-your-own-luck. Brandy's great!

It might be helpful to brainstorm by sections.

First and foremost, thanks. The thought process here is very interesting.

2 through 6 (inclusively) are the ones I'm very interested in. Basically anything with some gameplay attached to it. The most versatile the best.

Your questions have been great and helped me tremendously assess this already, but feel free to chime in with any suggestion example if you wish as well.

Should have an assortment of the usual:
Crucifix
Garlic
Silver bullets
Mirrors
Moondust
Kryptonite
Mary Jane's tears
Swiss Army knife
Cupid arrows
Yes, I may be getting a little silly, but it's worth mentioning these.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

A staff with huge scull on it. When demon is killed scull consumes it's soul. In future fights demons soul can be used to create a ball of energy that can be controlled separately with the power of scull. That ball can be used for ranged/magic attack as an opposite to melee fighting stuff. Different demon souls can provide different stats/power modifiers for the ball.

www.corsairgames.com

Should have an assortment of the usual:

Vampire Hunting:

Crucifix/Garlic (warding)

Mirror (validation)

Werewolves

Silver bullets (killing / preventing morphing)

Superman

Kryptonite (assuming we chase superheroes...)

Not sure what the other ones are for though. I may not be familiar with these tropes?

I have a feeling my character has been journeying without a home for a while and hunts whatever he hears about. Part of his skillset is to improvise with whatever he has, and I'm assuming the backpack is filled with great artifacts of some kind.

Your question and especially this part reminds me of the early books of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher Especially the "before saga" ones ("The Sword of Destiny" and "The Last Wish"). The setting is very similar to what you described - The Witcher travels from town to town looking for monsters to kill for some reward. He uses mainly one of two swords (one for monsters and one for humans smile.png) and set of elixirs that can give him temporary powers (speed, night vision, ...) The drawback with elixirs is that they severely weaken user when duration ends.

You may check the books for other inspiration as well.

I`m loosely familiar with this series. I think I've put 1 or 2 hours into the first installment of the video game series. For some reason it didn't stick with me.

I think the idea of having just potions and swords (an potion-maker-warrior) was a bit weak to me. I wanted a more crafty / flamboyant approach. I like a hunter with its tools.

After watching both Underworld 3: Rise of the Lycans & Van Helsing for a 2nd time, I'm unimpressed with the logistics they have. They undeniably hit the mood, but they lack proper 'tools'.

To be honest, the closest thing I know that comes to what I'm trying to make is probably these:

- Zelda: A Link to the Past

The hero has a bunch of tools he unlocks, and he gets to use them under various different situations. Though more of the game is very easy and straightforward, it is an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

There may be too few tools to use, but the shapeshifting helps a lot. There's still a sense of exploration and problem-solving, on a much lesser scale however.

- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

A classic that allows the user to shapeshift to accomplish deeds. Other 'powers' are innate to the character (relics). This feels less like tools but serves the same purpose mechanically speaking.

I'd bring a bear trap, a net and every trap material I could come with. Combat is overrated, why risk your life when you can capture your enemies in a more safe way?

A rope. You never think about it until you need it.

Something to set things on fire. Depending on your setting this could be a torch, alchemist fire, gasoline and a lighter...

A shovel, because sometimes you just need to bury things.

And a lockpick.

And never forget to bring a leather jacket, just for the sake of looking like a badass.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement