• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jess1997

How to draw multiple objects with Direct3D?

This topic is 1428 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Lately, I've been trying to draw multiple objects with Direct3D and I just don't understand how I'm supposed to draw different objects on the screen with multiple vertex buffers. On MSDN, I read that a GPU could only hold 16 vertex buffers, so creating one vertex buffer per object doesn't make much sense to me. I know it is possible to put many static meshes into a single vertex buffer, but since mine are dynamic, how am I supposed to do that?

Advertisement

On MSDN, I read that a GPU could only hold 16 vertex buffers... [within each draw call].
You can make use of 16 buffers simultaneously -- as in, when drawing one object, you can read data from up to 16 buffers.

The next object can use the same buffer(s), or a completely different set of 0-16 buffers.

For each of my game objects every frame I add an entry in a list of renderables. Renderables are just a structure storing information about the object, like its vertex/index buffers, materials, sorting parameters, etc. and every frame I iterate through the list and draw them one at a time, setting the vertex buffer for each one when I draw it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!