Am I obliged to create one?

Started by
10 comments, last by thenameisdivine@rocketmail.com 9 years, 8 months ago

Warning I'm not a PRO.

hi my name is pauline fisher this is my first time in gamedev.net smile.png

me old thread
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=47845

I dont want to extend this thread I started long time ago from the new boston forums. but.. there are few questions I want to ask more so. I started a new one. If you do have any tips and suggestion with regards to my older thread you can go ahead and pm me or whatnot!? ;) muah!

question:

Am I obliged to create my very own 3d modeling software in creating a game? specially if im goin to start a verysmall game studio?
or can I used existing softwares for the 3d models like (blender3d, maya, 3dsmax etc,.) then export it on my game engine?

Advertisement

No one will expect you to create your own solutions if the existing ones are good enough for what you want to do.

If you have special reasons for creating or modifying something, then go for it. This can include "because I want to/for learning purposes".

Most people are more than happy with using the software you mentioned to create art assets for their games.

A lot of people (especially smaller studios) are also happy with using engines or frameworks (examples including Unity, Unreal Engine, GameMaker, etc.). If your goal is to create a game, then that should be your main priority.

Basically, it's like if you want to become a pro-cyclist. Your main goal would be learning how to cycle really fast, not worry about if you need to build your own bike.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Am I obliged to create my very own 3d modeling software in creating a game? specially if im goin to start a verysmall game studio?
or can I used existing softwares for the 3d models like (blender3d, maya, 3dsmax etc,.) then export it on my game engine?

Not even most pros create their own. We just use Max or Maya or various other specialized third-party tools. We write custom plugins usually for things like exporting to the engine's custom format or for using our graphics engine to visualize the model in real time in the editor, but all the actual modeling is done using existing software.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

IF you go with an already existing engine (Unity, Unreal, Torque, C4, ....), you will most probably not even have to write any exporter plugin.

Make sure you use one of the standart formats (like .obj, .fbx, or something like this), and 99% of engines will already have importers (exporters? importers? Anyway, a plugin that imports it) for it.

You might face more difficulties with .blend, the standart format Blender saves its files as, just because not every engine will import it (Unity does AFAIK). But because of that Blender has a huge list of exporter plugins, and at least for the .obj one I can tell it works without problems.

So pick one of the existing 3D Packages (Blender if you are on a tight budget) and model away. Rest assured you will always be able to export into a mutlitude of formats, and your engine, as long as its an existing one, will always accept at least one of them.

Whilst the Unreal engine is commonly used in professional game development, many companies still choose to write their own engine for various reasons (i.e more suited to problem domain, lighter, cheaper?, R&D tax breaks?, etc.) however, much less professional games studios write their own tools from scratch which are of the same scale as Maya, Blender, Max etc. and instead augment these existing ones with their own extensions and plugins suited to their projects.

However, much of the talent in professional studios will understand what is below the hood of something like Maya, and if given enough time could probably implement all the features. Developers that rather stay ignorant of the important low level details because they are using something basic like Unity is not really the sort of principle that exists outside of indie game development. Unfortunately limited time is relevant to both ;)
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Good luck to you programming your own modeling/animation software like Blender/Maya, these are extremely advanced software created over years by large amounts of highly skilled programmers.

I can't think of anyone that rolls their own art tools for modeling or images -- studios will write art tools to do things that the existing tools don't, or to further process output from those standard art tools before it goes into their game. In general, tools exist for most anything you might want to do, but might not do it exactly as you want -- the path of least resistance is to write tools to close the gap, rather than to start from scratch.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

That is what I do. Just create an exporter plugin for the 3d modeler of your choice if you want to use a different file format for your engine.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

If your purpose/goal is to develop a 3D game as it sounds like it is, why would you think you were "obligated" to also develop your own 3D modeling software?

Developing games and developing modeling software are two entirely separate business models. Sure, you could do both, but why bother as it doesn't sound as though that is your desire/goal.

Just do as the others here have suggested, if you have the funds for Maya or 3DS Max then go that route. If your budget is limited go with the free open-source, Blender.

Thanks man you guys are the best! Okay so that clears my mind. :)

Basically, it's like if you want to become a pro-cyclist. Your main goal would be learning how to cycle really fast, not worry about if you need to build your own bike.

And to this one. Ive seen it like this. To be a pro cyclist is to be like a gamer. And the one who build a bike is more like a game developer.

but doesnt mean to build a bike will mandatorily put you in the process of creating each materials from ground up right? (not unless you want to) but you can use an already existing materials like pre-made wheels, sprockets, sprints and chains. that other people already created. just so you can build your bike or even modify it. just like using pre-existing softwares to create 3d models and plug it in to your own engine.

And yah You got it right sir thanks :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement