• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nostrora

DX11 DirectX with or without Visual Studio 2013

This topic is 1426 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, i'm on Windows 7 X64 Ultimate SP1 and i have installed Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate Update 3 for make DirectX 11 game

My question is : Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate Update 3 integrate the DirectX SDK ?

Because, on this link, i can read

VS 2013 RTM includes the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows 8.1, which is also available standalone. This includes DirectXMath 3.06, Direct3D 11.2/DXGI 1.3/Direct2D 1.2 headers for Windows 8.1

But when i include this file

#include <d3dx11.h>

I get error from VS 2013 because the file dosnt exist, but #include <d3d11.h> exist !

Can you tell something about that ? :)

Thanks a lot

Advertisement

D3DX is Direct3D Extension, which included texture loading and other things, it's not DirectX API. It has been removed in some version and you have to implement that yourself.

I think DirectX Tool Kit implements most things D3DX used to have.

D3DX family libraries are no more updated since the legacy DirectX June 2010 SDK and are deprecated since Windows SDK 8.0 (that comes with Visual Studio 2012).
Read this to learn how to port old legacy D3DX code: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2013/08/21/living-without-d3dx.aspx

If you really need to use D3DX libraries, you need to install the legacy DirectX June 2010 SDK and adding the proper include and library directories to your Visual Studio 2013 project, otherwise Visual Studio will use only the Windows 8.1 SDK (which includes the current DriectX components).

You can read more all about here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee663275.aspx Edited by Alessio1989

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!