Games scores and Land of Many Celli

Started by
1 comment, last by nsmadsen 9 years, 8 months ago

What does everyone think of that game score sound which is dominated by cello solo? I LOVE the sound however I'm hoping it isn't going to be a trend and is left to the special sound.

Advertisement

I would argue that the cello is arguably the most versatile solo instrument (without arguing over the piano or the organ). For people on a budget, the cello is arguably the easiest go-to instrument to mask your sampled string libraries and automatically give your music a sense of sophistication.

Game music is just like fashion - there are trends. Someone does something "new" and lots of people clammer on, either because of their own passions/goals or because other game devs say "I want THAT kind of music/experience." Then it wears off and someone else tries something "new" and it happens all over again.

And what Elahrairah said. I added real violin to one of my old tracks and instantly it raised the value of the overall production quite a bit. Then after some extra tweaking and polish on other parts, I had a completely different song.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement