Why Orchestral music is best for video games?

Started by
16 comments, last by TheSlantedRoom 9 years, 4 months ago

EDIT: PS: Be sure to check out Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Enya, Brian Eno, and so much more for great examples of "feeling" synths.

I would like to add Mike Oldfield to that list ;)

Although I found the OP a tad presumptuous I enjoyed reading all your responses, good stuff thx!

Breakdown Epiphanes, Musicians from Hamburg, Germany.

https://soundcloud.com/breakdownepiphanies

Advertisement

I think it comes down to that epic'ness.

When you have a orchestra even just from a sample library you can imagine the number of players and even the sort of space needed for that (both BIG!)

With electronic music it's hard to evoke that same sort of feeling (not impossible) it will just need a whole lot more work whereas orchestral instruments can get you most of the way there quicker in a way.

Saying "Orchestral Music is best for gaming" is like saying the color red is best for painting. There are many different styles of music that can each convey their own emotions and they all have their place in gaming.

I am actually pretty bored by the recent trend of super-epic-orchestral-hollywood-schmaltz game soundtracks. There are some soundtracks that combine classical with modern elements however, these tend to catch my interest. Deus Ex: HR OST by Michael McCann comes to mind.

Feeling is a derivation of notes, timbre, and ideas. 3 lines of synthesizer can be just as expressive as 20 lines of orchestra and choir.

Yes sadly, recent 'super epic' soundtracks have been done badly...really badly, chosen merely for the fact that it's orchestra and not because it offers the greatest depth and breadth of expression, or because it is appropriate and fits.

Far too many composers obsessed with looking the part and how their work sounds; than what it actually is, or achieves within the listener.

At the end of the day, you're there to take the player through the game, and control their perceptions of it; It's not just feelings or mood, there's a LOT more to it than that.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-milne-8/sets/demo-reel-full

Composer: Wings over the Reich, Wings Over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight - top 20 wargames of all time - PC Gamer

I think this is because electronic sounds go with electronic engines and games are meant to feel like they are made? [...] games are beginning to feel. Computers and electronic sounds CAN NOT FEEL.
What?

Seriously, how can you even begin a discussion of anything with something so subjective and so meaningless as that. That just tells me flat out that you're not trying to discuss anything.

Just tell me how you can have a game like Deus Ex Human Revolution without electronic music. How you can have a game like any Megaman without electronic music? I'm gonna get ahead of myself and tell that you can't.

Then again, you can't have Skyrim's dovahkiin theme without 60 guys singing with epic drums and string/wind instruments. I'll give you that.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

When you say "orchestral", do you mean an orchestra specifically, or any live music?

Despite not being too much of a rock or metal fan (or whatever - I can't tell music genres apart), I find it enjoyable and attention-grabbing (in a good way) when some games go for more non-traditional soundtracks for their games.

I make orchestral music and feel that is brings out the most emotion possible if done well. I always prefer orchestral over electronic in an RPG, and SiFi themes I like a hybrid of orchestral with electonic sound scapes.

PS

I am Steve. I am a Sound Engineer and a composer from Vancouver, Canada. I make fantasy music and am currently working on a project called Lost Worlds. Please take a listen and let me know your thoughts. My Goal is to have my music on a game or tv show one day.
steveplaysaxe@hotmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement