Are degrees worth it for Level / Environment design areas?

Started by
5 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 7 months ago

Hi,

I am currently a uni student, who wants to go into level/environment design, on a "Computing and Games Development" course, but recently i feel like dropping out. Then getting a part time job to work on my portfolio allot more. The course is mostly computer development side, where im not doing so great, and little games development, so i am not really enjoying it. I have been looking at job postings and none really mention requiring a degree or that they would prefer one. I do already have some higher education with a "Level 3 extended diploma" though.

Are degrees worth it for this area? Would it be a good idea to drop out and working more on a portfolio?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Are degrees worth it for this area?

Define Worth.

Would it be a good idea to drop out and working more on a portfolio?

No. You should work on your portfolio as well as your degree or even figure out a way to make the two compatible.

I have some required reading for students, especially those in your position.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

@Bregma
Wow, that article is a bit harsh. Not untrue, perhaps, but a little harsher than it needs to be.

In regards to OP, while a degree is rarely required, that doesn't inherently mean you shouldn't follow through with your course.
As long as you're in a place where you can afford it, the extra knowledge gained while getting a degree can be invaluable, and therefore "worth it". But it depends whether or not that knowledge is more worth it to you, how much money you'll lose or gain if you drop out now, if the time spent solely on your portfolio will actually be well spent, etc. It's a question none of us can answer objectively for you.

Side note, I know hindsight is 20-20, but if you don't like the core course material to the point where you're just entirely disinterested, maybe you should have done a little more research before buying into it. Make sure you read Tom Slopers FAQs here, too. Will definitely help you out. I particularly recommend (in no particular order) #66, #25, #69, #51, and #24 (because it's just sound advice for everyone).

While getting into art in game development doesn't require a degree, a degree always looks better on your resume. You most likely have a higher chance of getting an interview with a degree. This depends on the people going through the resumes as well so its not guaranteed to help.

I have some required reading for students, especially those in your position.

Hilarious - I immediately shared it with fellow faculty. Thanks!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The course is mostly computer development side, where im not doing so great, and little games development, so i am not really enjoying it. I have been looking at job postings and none really mention requiring a degree or that they would prefer one. I do already have some higher education with a "Level 3 extended diploma" though.

Are degrees worth it for this area? Would it be a good idea to drop out and working more on a portfolio?

I think you're asking the wrong question.

I dropped out of school myself, and ended up a game producer. Do I regret the choice? Absolutely not.

That being said, it was a risky move (when I could afford it) and I'm paying for it now, daily, because I'm lacking some of the theory.

At no point did I ever base my decision on what 'requirements' were advertised for the position I wanted to occupy.

When you drop out of school and want to make it, you start to focus on the knowledge you need to possess as opposed to the degrees you need to have.

Your future employer might, like you, not give a damn about the degree, but he might expect you to know things that are inherently part of the curriculum. Unless you plan on learning them by yourself through hard work, the degree is still 'required'.

Ultimately, landing a job is about convincing the person in front of you that you are qualified to do the job and get results. Having a diploma to back you up is essentially saying 'hey bro, the state trusts that I have the necessary knowledge to do this job, so test me all you want, I doubt you'll come to a different conclusion' whereas no diploma doesn't.

People are likely to pick candidates with a diploma first for interviews and only audition the others if they feel they don't have enough candidates.

The best level designers that I know happen to have experience in nearly everything game dev related. They could make a game from A-Z as a one-man army. They are versatile. I think game/level design, in general, is one of the few jobs where it's better to know a little about a lot than a lot about little.

So, maybe the degree isn't worth it for you, that solely depends how hard you're willing to work on your own to get there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement