Copy/paste fail

Started by
4 comments, last by aregee 9 years, 7 months ago
I am not sure if this is the right place, but...
This is a tale of copy and paste snafus. (Not sure if this is the right term, but it sounds fancy...)
I was making CRC checking in my FLAC player, and I was copying a minor part of the CRC-8 part to make the CRC-16 part. In the debugging I observed that all the generated values were in the range 0..255, but it was supposed to be 16 bit.
What I did was:
Implementation:

- (uint16_t)CRC16 {
    return mCRC16;
}
Definition:

- (uint8_t)CRC16;
Notice the mismatching return values of the definition and implementation.
What I didn't notice was the compiler complaining with a WARNING (not an error) that:
crc.png
So even though the method definition didn't match, the runtime was happy to use the "substitute" instead, providing me with wrong values.
Advertisement

Yeah, that happens.

...what kind of function declaration syntax is that though? o_O

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Isn't that Objective-C?

Isn't that Objective-C?

Yes, it is Objective-C. I originally mentioned that, but my browser crashed in the middle of editing, so I had to rewrite and forgot to mention that again.

Proof that I know nothing about Objective C >.<

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Proof that I know nothing about Objective C >.<

Lol, my little mistake taught me something new about Obj-C too biggrin.png I know those things are resolved at runtime, and that opens for a lot of weirds stuff, but I didn't know that the definition would override the implementation.

Edit: And it was hard to start with Objective C with a C/C++ background. If you don't come up with good names, things may look like this:

- (void)myMethod:(NSString)theString withSomething:(NSInteger)withSomething {
}

Calling this thing:

[self myMethod:@"weird" withSomething:42];

Yes, it is weird, and it still feels weird and unnatural even after 2-3 years of Obj-C-ing... And you are sending messages, not calling methods. That is a whole world of difference, since sending messages means that everything is determined at run time. Calling methods are determined at compile time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement