• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cozzie

Moving from dinput to RAW input (mouse)

This topic is 1416 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I've been working on getting rid of DirectInput for handling keyboard and mouse input.

On the keyboard side I'm all good, but my current RAW mouse implementation (1st attempt) has two strange symptons:

1 - terrible 'lag' in movement, like it's 'dragging along' after the mouse physically stopped moving

2 - interference with keyboard input

Here's the code I use.

Any input is really appreciated.

// setting up the mouse
bool CInputHandler::SetupMouseRaw(const HWND pHwnd)
{
	Rid[0].usUsagePage = HID_USAGE_PAGE_GENERIC; 
    Rid[0].usUsage = HID_USAGE_GENERIC_MOUSE; 

Rid[0].dwFlags = RIDEV_CAPTUREMOUSE | RIDEV_INPUTSINK | RIDEV_NOLEGACY
    Rid[0].hwndTarget = pHwnd;
    RegisterRawInputDevices(Rid, 1, sizeof(Rid[0]));

mInitialized = true;
	return true;
}

// updating the mouse
void CInputHandler::UpdateMouse(const int pPosX, const int pPosY)
{
	mMousePosX = pPosX;
	mMousePosY = pPosY;
	mMouseMoved = true;
}	

// windows messaging (WNDPROC)
		// MOUSE INPUT: RAW
		case WM_INPUT:
		{
	        UINT dwSize = 40;
		    static BYTE lpb[40];

GetRawInputData((HRAWINPUT)lParam, RID_INPUT, lpb, &dwSize, sizeof(RAWINPUTHEADER));

RAWINPUT* raw = (RAWINPUT*)lpb;

if(raw->header.dwType == RIM_TYPEMOUSE)
			{
				_input.UpdateMouse(raw->data.mouse.lLastX, raw->data.mouse.lLastY);
			}
		}
		break;

// handling game input
			if(_input.MouseMoved())
			{
				_d3dcam.FreeLook(_input.GetMousePosX(), _input.GetMousePosY(), _player.GetLookSpeed()); // * _timer.GetDelta());
				_input.SetMouseMoved(false);
			}

Edited by cozzie

Advertisement

1 - terrible 'lag' in movement, like it's 'dragging along' after the mouse physically stopped moving

This could happen when you re-draw & present everything after every message from your message loop, with VSYNC on. Because Present waits for VSYNC, it causes your whole message loop (including raw input messages) to be delayed every frame.

Fiddler's recommendation should fix this...

Edited by tonemgub

Hi all. Thanks for the input.

- I've tried to use just the flag 'RIDEV_NOLEGACY',  but unfortunately no difference

- WM_MOUSEMOVE I tried, but didn't work out because I'm trying to come close to using DirectInput in exclusive mode (also with the cursor outside the render window)

- my main message loop is:

PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_NOREMOVE);
	while(msg.message != WM_QUIT)
	{
		if(PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0U, 0U, PM_REMOVE))	
		{
			TranslateMessage(&msg);
			DispatchMessage(&msg);
		}

I tried to change it to a 'while' instead for 'for'.

That solved most of the problems! Great.

Can someone explain what exactly happens there and what the cons are of doing it with a while loop?
(will this cause delay when there are no messages, since if waits?)

The only issue left if that there's some strange interference left with the keyboard input. Will look further into that (some testing with the flags etc.)

Add; flags don't change things, but I did notice that without V-sync mouse 'spreed' is much better then with V-sync. Do I need to make that speed dependent on V-sync, or are there better options?

On the left 'interference' it's really strange, I only get it with the 'VK_ESCAPE' key, all other input is OK. When I change back the the message loop to a 'if' instead of 'while' loop, the VK_ESCAPE reaction is back. Strange?

Edited by cozzie

I personally never bother with Windows messages and use the API functions directly. Look up GetCursorPos() for mouse movement and GetAsyncKeyState() for keypresses. These will give you immediate values which you can process at your own will.

I personally never bother with Windows messages and use the API functions directly. Look up GetCursorPos() for mouse movement and GetAsyncKeyState() for keypresses. These will give you immediate values which you can process at your own will.

GetAsyncKeyState() can miss key presses when the framerate is low or the key was pressed very quickly.

Usually that is not a problem in games since most of the time keys will be held down for some longer period. For example, when moving, you'll just want to know if key X is down or not, key-up is often not even relevant. You'd also have to have extremely low framerate to actually press-and-release in between frames.

For text input and such, it's a totally different scenario.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!