Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jocke

PVS??

After reading some articles and post about BSP trees, the term PVS often appeard. I''ve learned that it is a way of determining the number of visible polygons at a given point in the world, but there are still alot of questions in my head about this topic. I''ve searched through the forums and the articles here on gamedev and found only breif discussions about it, that just left me more confused than before. So i was wondering if someone here could enlighten me on this subject, or point me to some resource on the web. I''m looking for both theory and implementation information. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PVS = "Potentially Visible Set". This is about the only good tut I''ve found:

http://aggrav8d.cfxweb.net/

However, if you really want the best resource, go to www.gameinstitute.com and take the course in Advanced 3D: BSP, CSG, PVS. I took this course and was very satisifed.

PigVomit

Guest Anonymous Poster
PVS = potentially visible set, in other words the set of (in this case) leaves which are visible from each particular leaf. There are a couple of ways of calculating a PVS which I know of, the best way involves generating portals (a fairly substantial task in itself), and you''ll find the detail you require by signing up for the GameInstitute course as PigVomit suggested. It''s run by a couple of friends of mine, Gary Simmons and Adam Hoult, both of whom are highly knowledgeable about their subject (Gary used to run www.mr-gamemaker.com, which was an extremely good tutorial site), and I highly recommend it.

The Wedgie

Guest Anonymous Poster
Thanks alot for the advice guys!

To Hinox:

Well i haven''t done very much VGA programming, but when i
started out i found alot of good articles over at
www.programmersheaven.com. They have tons of articles and source
code on myriad programming topics. I think there is also alot
of articles here on gamedev about VGA programming.
If you are looking for book i highly recommend that you get
Black Art of 3D Game Programming by Andre LaMothe.
That books teaches you alot about VGA programming in the
dark days of DOS It''s also a good start for learning
3D programming.

I hope this helped.