Feedback 3D Character Model

Started by
7 comments, last by batataroxa 9 years, 7 months ago
Heey everyone!
He is a model of a character for our Game RUN.
612tyzu.png
BbHk9d6.png
Is6k1HA.png
It's 9,201 polys. Do you have any critique? Suggestion? Please give us feedback smile.png
Hope you like it.
Cheers!
Advertisement

The feet could stand to show more clearly that the "big toe" side of the foot is longer than the "pinkie toe" side of the foot, and that the high point of the top of the foot is located more toward the big toe side of the foot than the middle. The blue shirt I'm not really liking either the shape or the texture all that much, but the leather is very nice. The hands might be a little pale compared to the face.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Nice jacket design!

What confuses me is that the jacket appears to be patched at the lower left (unless I'm misinterperting what that angled square is), but the collar of the jacket seems almost pristine except for a few discolorations. Actually, apart from the patch and those few discolorations on the color, the jacket looks brand new. Why would someone have a patch on a brand-new jacket?

The character looks like (purely because of the patch) he has a worn-ish jacket, but brand new shoes and pants.

Also, I'd expect the collar to lie flatter down. As it is, the collar almost looks like some puffy animal-fur collar at first glance, it's so rounded and curved.

The texturing on the jacket and pants look really good! The skin on the character's face looks somewhat off. Not being an artist, I can't pin-point what about it is off though.

The face and facial hair appear too plastic-like. The facial hair is worse than the facial skin - the hair looks so fake, it looks like the hair would be fine in Team Fortress 2, even though the rest of the character wouldn't. But the facial skin is also noticably off somehow.

The hands, while good coloring, appear too smooth. No hair, no wrinkles, no discolorations. Looking at my own hand, the palm is a different color (slightly more red-ish) than the back of the hand, and the part where the back of the hand connects to the wrist is lightly covered with hair continuing from the wrist. Not sure how it is with other peoples' hands, but this gentleman's hand looks rather manly in bulk but girlish in texture.

His button-up shirt looks almost like a vest. Looking at the character's shirt, it looks like there isn't enough fabric to button up the top buttons! But if someone had trouble buttoning their shirt because of their bulk, it's be the lower buttons, not the upper ones, that they'd have trouble with. There needs to be enough fabric to theoreticly button not only the top-most visible button, but also to button the two collar ends together.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Well, actually it isn't a patch. It's a pocket :).

The skin texture is a bit weird... I agree, the hand seems to be very white, compared to his face...

We will try to improve the textures...

Oh, then it makes sense that the jacket looks almost new. happy.png

The pocket seemed too small to fit his hand into, and what with it being angled, it threw me off.

I am going to be the one who says it... it looks like he has a cameltoe for his private region. Not something I would normally notice so that is the only reason I point it out... it was obvious enough in that one screenshot.

The only other issue I really see is that his eye sockets are fairly dark. Looks almost dead, or very very tired. A bit of blending with the upper cheek can fix that.

first of all, this is a great model. some things to improve on I believe are the finger nails. currently they are skin color. you should change that color to show that he has fingernails. The pants and shirts need a texture overlay for diffuse and normal map to make it look more like fabric and less smooth. same for the jacket if you are going for leather. It doesnt need to be strong, just enough to give it the illusion or feeling. if you aren't going for super realistic of course than don't worry about that. Also, now that riuthamus said something about the camel toe it bothers me alot. but other than that, it is great work. whoever did this should be proud. Alot better than most people I know.

Hey man, good stuff.

Crits:

- The skin is all one color with very little variation, like tahakitan noted even the fingernails are the same color. Adding in some color to the face, warmer hues especially around the thinner skin areas like the ears and eyes, will help sell 'life' a lot. Look up skin painting tutorials if you're having a hard time, or another trick is to project a face texture onto him (feel free to be messy), and then completely paint over it with broad brush strokes and follow up with some nice alphas/stamps.

- You have some bake errors where your highpoly mehes were clipping through eachother, pink skin dots near the collar and brown spots on the shirt. At least I think thats what those are.

- As others noted the crotch is a little strange.

- Materials. This one is really important. Everything seems to be the same material. Same gloss and spec levels etc. Try to vary things up a bit, having materials contrast eachother is a really great way to sell character work. Glossy, more specular skin constrasting with the reflectionless shirt makes both look better and more natural. Glossy shoes against matte pants does the same thing.

9,000 tris is pretty good for a character these days.

Keep it up, some good suggestions here.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

I'll record a video for you to see how the model looks in game.

The skin is a bit white for me, and as Riuthamus said, the sockets are dark. But, in game, those things aren't a problem (for me).

If you want to, our facebook page is this: https://www.facebook.com/torchgamesstudio

Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement