The Week of awesome II! - The second annual unofficial gamedev competition!

Started by
278 comments, last by slicer4ever 9 years, 6 months ago

Fine with me, but sounds a bit ill advised to disallow Linux.. not sure how many people use it, the "online users" list used to list OS but not anymore.. but I seem to recall several people use it. This basically says Windows only. At least if Linux is disallowed, allow Android so Linux users can make mobile games.

We're looking into this currently. Definitely not a 'our choice' as much as the sum of what platforms each judge has access to.

Currently looking into ways to expand this, but it will depend on feasibility. Personally haven't used a Unix kernel in... well over a decade!

Ultimately you are constrained by what the judges have. There's no reason you can't make a cross-platform game on Linux as long as you can test it on Windows I suppose? You can't really say "if not Linux, allow Android" if nobody has Android devices either :)

I'd suggest allowing mobile games, but only on the understanding you'd have to target multiple platforms if the judges have different devices. Which of course makes it a lot harder, but someone might want to. Although, having desktop games compete against mobile ones in the same contest is a bit odd, they're not really the same thing.

Advertisement

Hi again!

I have been watching this thread and I haven't seen any artist looking for programmers. If there's any, don't be shy and send me a PM! I would really like to work on a game with someone else's input! Thanks!

Windows 7/8
IE 11
Firefox
Chrome

Fine with me, but sounds a bit ill advised to disallow Linux.. not sure how many people use it, the "online users" list used to list OS but not anymore.. but I seem to recall several people use it. This basically says Windows only. At least if Linux is disallowed, allow Android so Linux users can make mobile games.

while we are talking internally about a 3rd judge to support linux, i'd like to ask for anyone at all to come forward which would be constrained to a linux only build. the competition offered android and IOS last year, and only 1 single entry was placed on either platform(one of which also had a good pc build as well) overall it wasn't an issue last year to offer only windows as a desktop, and if anyone is seriously constrained from being able to build on windows, then please tell us and we can very likely get a 3rd judge to be able to support linux. as it stands though we are currently discussing internally about a 3rd member getting linux running for testing games, but overall I don't think it's going to be much of an issue for even those whom normally work under linux to create a windows build of there game. But again, i would like to hear from any contestant that would not be able to compete because we don't support linux(this goes for mac as well).

its 29 aug, so I guess the last week of sep wins ??

right ?? biggrin.png

I hope the votes will be looked at to include the most competitors. Sure many people may have said they can compete in the final week, but that may leave out a decent sized portion of people who can only do it the the 8-15th or 15th-22nd whereas people may have voted to being able to do it each of the 4 options.

Indeed!, as of this post the 4th week has 24 votes of the 50 total votes. that means that 26 people could not make the last week work unfortunately. however since the poll is multiple choice, the idea is that each person is to vote in all the weeks they find they can participate, which in theory means that the most members that felt they could compete was in the last week. i'm unsure what this means for the 26 people whom did not vote for the last week, but I hope they will be able to find some way to work the competition in, however don't forget that I plan to do this competition next year as well, so even if you coudn't make this years work, their is always going to be next years!

I'd suggest allowing mobile games, but only on the understanding you'd have to target multiple platforms if the judges have different devices. Which of course makes it a lot harder, but someone might want to. Although, having desktop games compete against mobile ones in the same contest is a bit odd, they're not really the same thing.

We want to support mobile games, however last years competition only saw 2 entry's for mobile platforms(one of which had a desktop build as well as an android). The game made for iOS was only able to be ran by one judge, why only one judge was able to run the game i'm not sure of, but overall it meant that entry couldn't be qualified. at the end of the day i don't want to discourage mobile, but i also think i'm going to draw the line that we won't be testing games on mobile hardware(because even like you say, each judge likely has a different device) so if you'd like to build a mobile game, you totally can, but you will have to be able to support a desktop build of that game as well.

Hi again!

I have been watching this thread and I haven't seen any artist looking for programmers. If there's any, don't be shy and send me a PM! I would really like to work on a game with someone else's input! Thanks!

Yes, unfortuantly riu is one of the few relatively active artists around these parts. while i'm sure there are more, they might not visit the lounge as often. perhaps try contacting some of the artists in the visual arts forum to see if any of them would be interested in joining you?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Jumping in here to say hi. I can't wait to see this year's submissions :)

As Slicer said, we're looking to have a 3rd member for testing Linux games if there's anyone who wants to compete but can't deploy Windows version. Also, we have already 2 people who can support Mac, so same thing works for anyone who's limited to Mac only - if there's need, 3rd judge can set up a machine relatively easily.

I also believe that, if we end up not supporting Linux and/or MacOS and someone submits Windows version and has Linux/Mac version ready, at least one of the judges will take a look into Linux/MacOS version if time allows (though only Windows will be graded).

Anyway, good luck to the participants!

As I stated in the chat (just making it official here), I, blueshogun, will be participating in the tournament. I'm awaiting a day that we will begin. Since I am a one man team, I am not looking for assistance. This is my first time participating in this tournament. Lastly, sorry if I missed it, but will there be any twitter hash tags for this event?

Shogun.

For the record, i have made a calling to all my art peeps! Here is hoping they push some love your way guys

!http://www.gamedev.net/topic/660410-calling-all-artists-good-or-bad/

Thanks slicer4ever and riuthamus!

I will do visual and audio assets for a team.

I'm a programmer but I don't want to participate in that capacity. I'm not the greatest artist but .. you can see my work at the links below:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=latch

https://www.youtube.com/user/lordlatch/videos

I also don't want to be in charge.

Count me in!

I have a question about one of the rules:

According to the rules page linked to in the first post, "... you may use code, art, and audio that you or others may have made in the past (the explicit limitation is that you may not use existing game logic (i.e. you may use libraries and engines, but you still have to actually make the game during the 7 day period))".

My question then is this: where does boundary lie between "code that I made in the past" and "game logic"? For example, if I find that I want my entry to have an inventory, would it be acceptable for me to rip out and retrofit the inventory system (specifically, it stores items, displays them in a grid, and allows rearrangement and selection of them) from another game of mine? What about my physics character controller?

The extremes seem fairly clear: I would presumably not be allowed to use, say, an RPG combat mechanic that I had previously created, and would be allowed to use the Bullet physics engine. It's the cases in between that I'm uncertain about.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement