Sign in to follow this  
slicer4ever

The Week of awesome II! - The second annual unofficial gamedev competition!

0sok    432
8-15th is best for me.

Newbie here. Looking forward to it. Probably myself plus my girlfriend's graphics.

Thaumaturge    3831

Ooh, this is interesting! I don't know what September is going to be like for me, so I'm not going to state with confidence that I'm participating, but I hope to enter. ^_^

(For the same reason, I'm not voting on the period for the competition.)

Mussi    4409

Been a while since I've done a competition, would love to participate in this one :). I could probably use some help from an artist, but I'm afraid I might not be able to get something done or finish the game in time. Would it be possible to loosen the rules up a bit, so that you can still join a different team if your original team hasn't submitted anything. That way it'd be less likely for me to drag someone down with me if I for some reason can't make it.

TheMasterRat    182

o-O sounds awesome :D

I'm currently working on my game as a hobby but I'm down to changing the air a bit and designing/coding a game in a week!

If an artist is interested in pairing with me (programmer), I will join in the fray! I've only done one game so far (2d game).http://amazingslimes.tumblr.com/

If an artist is willing to team-up, please contact me!

d000hg    1199

20% only for gameplay seems a little harsh and unbalanced to me. Especially when how easy it is to install gets fully half as many points as gameplay! Shouldn't gameplay be the single most important section?

I personally would take 5% each from some/all of audio, theme and UX and re-assign to gameplay so gameplay ended up with 30-35%. Maybe something like:

Gameplay: 30%

Graphics: 20%

Theme: 20%

Audio: 15%

UX: 7.5%

Participation: 7.5%

Or make all the categories add up to 90% and have a final 10% "polish/judge's discretion" so each judge can effectively go through each section and then give a score out of 10 based on gut feeling.

minibutmany    1998

20% only for gameplay seems a little harsh and unbalanced to me. Especially when how easy it is to install gets fully half as many points as gameplay! Shouldn't gameplay be the single most important section?

I agree here.

Thaumaturge    3831

@d000hg: I don't think that gameplay is necessarily the most important element in all game types: consider traditional point-and-click adventure games, for example. (I'm also dubious of placing audio below graphics: should an entry that blinds the player, asking them to rely on sound, be at a disadvantage against one that has no sound at all?)

I think that, if I were to weight a single element in the scoring list above the others, it would probably be "theme": after all, that would seem to be the central point of comparison for the various likely-disparate entries that I would expect. We might argue about how to score an adventure game against a shooter, or a game set in the silence of space against one that depicts the experience of blindness, but all are expected to follow the theme.

I think that, if I were to weight a single element in the scoring list above the others, it would probably be "theme": after all, that would seem to be the central point of comparison for the various likely-disparate entries that I would expect. We might argue about how to score an adventure game against a shooter, or a game set in the silence of space against one that depicts the experience of blindness, but all are expected to follow the theme.

I agree that gameplay shouldn't be elevated too highly over the others, but I also disagree that theme should be elevated higher than the others. With the theme, in past competitions, usually the judges almost make theme a boolean equation. "Is the theme present? Yep? 100% in that category.", "Is it not present? 0% then!", with maybe a, "Okay, it's sorta present. 50% then.", so making the theme give 30% of the equation might would most likely end up with almost all the games having a full 100% in the theme category, and then you'd be competing in the other categories but with a smaller scoring range (0-70%) to differentiate, making it harder to determine winners based on score, and leading to more ties.

Personally, I'm in favor of polish contributing to your overall score.

Graphics: 15 pts (how well the graphics help the game express itself and create an engaging experience for the user)
Audio: 15 pts (how well the audio fits into the game, and helps the game express itself)
Gameplay/fun factor: 15 pts (how enjoyable the game is to play)
First time user experience: 15 pts (whether the game is easy to run (e.g. does it have all the dependencies shipped with it), and how easy it is to pick up and play - does it have the neccesary instructions, and so on?)
Theme: 15 pts (how well the game incorporates the theme)
Polish: 15 pts (how well the game overall feels complete and how well it flows together, including things like main menus and interface elements)
Participation: 10pts (how well your team shares its progress with the rest of the community while working on their game. GameDev.net forums, GameDev.net chatroom, GameDev.net journal, and so on - not a measurement of how much you spam, but how much you interact with the other teams (commenting on each others' work) so we can all have fun)

Thaumaturge    3831

I do like the idea of including a "polish" scoring element.

It's perhaps a little rough for a competition that only provides a week in which to work, but I do think that polish is something worth encouraging from developers (myself included).

With the theme, in past competitions, usually the judges almost make theme a boolean equation.

Hmm... On the one hand, that seems to me to be an issue in the judging--perhaps better guidelines for judging the "theme" element might be called for? However, if it's a problem that's not reasonably easy to solve for this competition, then I do concede your point; in fact, in that case it might even be worth reducing that element's weight.

Edited by Thaumaturge

riuthamus    8365
Read this and figured I would weigh in:

1. Graphics: 15 pts (I feel this should be a bit higher but I am okay with this)
  2. Audio: 5pts ( i don't know about you fools but I don't know many audio artists lying around. Wasting a day or two finding one will be horrible.)
  3. Gameplay/fun factor: 20 pts (how enjoyable the game is to play)
  4. First time user experience: 15 pts (whether the game is easy to run (e.g. does it have all the dependencies shipped with it), and how easy it is to pick up and play - does it have the neccesary instructions, and so on?)
  5. Theme: 15 pts (how well the game incorporates the theme of the contest)
  6. Polish: 15 pts (how well the game overall feels complete and how well it flows together, including things like main menus and interface elements)
  7. Participation: 10pts (make quality posts showing off your game, livestream events, other things showing your work for/on the game)
  8. Judge Discretion: 5pts (judges can have varying opinions based off of personal taste and what games appeal more to them based off of genre and concept. This should be justified in the judge response... but I think it is worth noting.)
Edited by riuthamus

slicer4ever    6769
I'm still on my way home from work so i can't do alot of quoting, but i did want to weigh in on the opinons about the scoring. One thing i want to stress is this is not a marathon competition, the goal is to be like a 3 day jam, but spread out over a week so that it's much less stressful. This doesn't mean that people can't treat it as a marathon and use all 7 days to create a really nice polished game, i just don't want the people trying to squeeze in work on the competition around their day jobs to feel like they are at a disadvantage because they don't have time to put in that extra time for polish.

So with that said i'm going to make the judgment that there will be no polish category, i will take into consideration to reweight the scores, and will post more once i get home. Edited by slicer4ever

slicer4ever    6769

i would really like to participate smile.png

Can i have more info on the rules and when it is gonna begin ? and whats the theme and requirements ? and the date slot will be good as 15-22/22-29 as soo many votes on it ;)

its perfect for me after my exams as well tongue.png

you can find all the rules in this topic: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/645699-upcoming-unofficial-gamedev-competition the only rules still up for change is the targeted platforms, i'll have more info once i've pinned down all the judges on what platforms will be available, and the Theme won't be announced until the competition starts!

it's looking like the last 2 weeks in september are going to be our winner's in the poll, i'll have choosen a definite date on the 29th.

Been a while since I've done a competition, would love to participate in this one smile.png. I could probably use some help from an artist, but I'm afraid I might not be able to get something done or finish the game in time. Would it be possible to loosen the rules up a bit, so that you can still join a different team if your original team hasn't submitted anything. That way it'd be less likely for me to drag someone down with me if I for some reason can't make it.

I'll likely not have an issue if this is what happens, but i'm not going to put it down into the rules, instead something like this will be a case by case thing, it's very likely we won't have any problem with something like that if it does happen.

Now, onto scoring. after a bit of consideration, this is what i've come up with:
  • Gameplay/fun factor: 25 pts
  • Graphics: 20 pts
  • Theme: 20 pts
  • Audio: 10 pts
  • First time user experience: 10 pts
  • Participation: 10pts
  • Judges score: 5 pnts
i've reduced audio down to 10pnts, and increased gameplay/fun to 25. riu does have a point that we don't really have many audio folks around these parts, while audio is an important part of all games, i think overall we can give more importance to gameplay/fun by reducing audio. this also gives our judges 5 additional points to play with as they see fit in the judges category. I however want to make a point that audio is still very important, and can be critical to winning those sweet sweet judging points!.

Theme is still very vital imo, as it's a primary thing to prevent early work from being done, so i won't change that, and i think graphics is also very good at where it's at. let me know your opinions on these changes! Edited by slicer4ever

slicer4ever    6769
Thanks to orymus3 we now have a 25$ prize for 4th place!

edit: i just noticed i missed these two posts on the first page.

Given that we might have some participants unable to do one particular week but possibly another. Splitting the competition into 2 separate week run with different themes for each might be a thought.

I can see your point stormy, i'd like to garner as many participates as i can, however i'm not sure if splitting the competition is the answer. It sucks that some people can't work with the dates, but no matter what i do, some people that want to compete simply can't this year. but looking at how well this competition is/was received, i fully expect this to become an annual competition, so at best they can try to make next years competition.

Getting back to the choice of the theme. The Ludum Dare GameJam use a system of poll to determine the theme. I'm not sure there is enough user for this method. But maybe letting the user vote for a global theme and the judge will be able to choose a smaller theme depending on this global theme.

For a maybe bad exemple : the participants chose the global theme : Sea, and the judge chose the smaller theme : pirate.

That's defiantly an interesting method, i'm still torn if i should request themes and randomly choose one at midnight, or keep it as an internal thing among the judges. I'm kindof leaning toward the internal method, but honestly if even a few people want to see the former method(or perhaps even the LD method you describe), then i'd be willing to do it that way. Edited by slicer4ever

0sok    432
I'd much rather see it done every 3 or 6 months as opposed to two separate weeks with different themes.

I would also like to throw in $10 USD to the prize pool. A 5th place prize? Sounds better to have a "Top 5" opposed to a "Top 4"

riuthamus    8365

@Slicer love the new changes and updates to the scoring card. I am curious... would you guys want to dedicate a part of the website to this? we have some pretty good coders here, I could do the art and layout for the page and we could display the contest in a more... professional theme. Thoughts?

slicer4ever    6769

I'd much rather see it done every 3 or 6 months as opposed to two separate weeks with different themes.

I would also like to throw in $10 USD to the prize pool. A 5th place prize? Sounds better to have a "Top 5" opposed to a "Top 4"

defiantly appreciate the contribution, i sent you a pm to talk about it!

@Slicer love the new changes and updates to the scoring card. I am curious... would you guys want to dedicate a part of the website to this? we have some pretty good coders here, I could do the art and layout for the page and we could display the contest in a more... professional theme. Thoughts?

that's one that the staff will have to weigh in on, considering the redness in you title, you might have a bit easier say in that regard=-P. however at the end of the day, this is still just an unofficial competition taking place at gd.net, the more weight that the staff puts into it, the more it'll look like an official competition(which i wouldn't mind at all, but i'll leave it up to them to decide on what distinction they'd like to make)