Sign in to follow this  
BlackBrain

Problem With Creation of TypedBuffer

BlackBrain    517

Hello.

I want to create a typedBuffer in SharpDX but when I tr to create a ShaderResourceView for it, gives me this error : 

Additional information: HRESULT: [0x80070057], Module: [General], ApiCode: [E_INVALIDARG/Invalid Arguments], Message: The parameter is incorrect.

The Code : 

public RWIntBuffer(int MaximumCount, int[] initialData, bool IsDynamic = false)
        {
            this.IsDynamic = IsDynamic;
            int stride = Marshal.SizeOf(typeof(int));
            DataStream stream = new DataStream(MaximumCount*stride,false, true);
            if (initialData != null)
                stream.WriteRange<int>(initialData);

ResourceUsage usage = ResourceUsage.Default;
            if(IsDynamic)
                usage = ResourceUsage.Dynamic;

buffer = new Buffer(GraphicsRenderer.device, stream, stride * MaximumCount, usage, BindFlags.ShaderResource | BindFlags.UnorderedAccess, IsDynamic ? CpuAccessFlags.Write : CpuAccessFlags.None, ResourceOptionFlags.BufferAllowRawViews, stride);

ShaderResourceViewDescription desc = new ShaderResourceViewDescription();
            desc.Dimension = ShaderResourceViewDimension.Buffer;
           desc.Format = SharpDX.DXGI.Format.R32_UInt;

ShaderView = new ShaderResourceView(GraphicsRenderer.device, buffer,desc);

UnorderedAccessViewDescription desc2 = new UnorderedAccessViewDescription();
            desc2.Format = SharpDX.DXGI.Format.R32_SInt;
            desc2.Dimension = UnorderedAccessViewDimension.Buffer;

UnorderedView = new UnorderedAccessView(GraphicsRenderer.device, buffer,desc2);
        }

Help Me pls , Thanks in advance. 

Edited by BlackBrain

BlackBrain    517

Excuse me , I thought u meant The message of the pop up window. In the output I got this :

D3D11 ERROR: ID3D11Device::CreateShaderResourceView: The Dimensions of the View are invalid due to at least one of the following conditions. Assuming this Format (0x2a, R32_UINT), ElementOffset (value = 0) must be between 0 and the maximum offset of the Buffer, 121599, inclusively. With the current ElementOffset, ElementWidth (value = 0) must be between 1 and 121600, inclusively, in order that the View fit on the Buffer. [ STATE_CREATION ERROR #128: CREATESHADERRESOURCEVIEW_INVALIDDIMENSIONS]

First-chance exception at 0x7620C41F in SharpdxTest2.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _com_error at memory location 0x0045E6DC.
D3D11 ERROR: ID3D11Device::CreateShaderResourceView: Returning E_INVALIDARG, meaning invalid parameters were passed. [ STATE_CREATION ERROR #131: CREATESHADERRESOURCEVIEW_INVALIDARG_RETURN]

A first chance exception of type 'SharpDX.SharpDXException' occurred in SharpDX.dll
An unhandled exception of type 'SharpDX.SharpDXException' occurred in SharpDX.dll
Additional information: HRESULT: [0x80070057], Module: [General], ApiCode: [E_INVALIDARG/Invalid Arguments], Message: The parameter is incorrect.

AlexandreMutel    1105

Excuse me , I thought u meant The message of the pop up window. In the output I got this :

This was explicitly explained in the link above, item 3) "And check the output log of Visual Studio in the Output Log tab"

D3D11 ERROR: ID3D11Device::CreateShaderResourceView: The Dimensions of the View are invalid due to at least one of the following conditions. Assuming this Format (0x2a, R32_UINT), ElementOffset (value = 0) must be between 0 and the maximum offset of the Buffer, 121599, inclusively. With the current ElementOffset, ElementWidth (value = 0) must be between 1 and 121600, inclusively, in order that the View fit on the Buffer. [ STATE_CREATION ERROR #128: CREATESHADERRESOURCEVIEW_INVALIDDIMENSIONS]

You should be able to see your problem with this message.

When you create a buffer view, you need to tell the range of data that is going into the view. In your sample, you don't define this. Check the documentation D3D11_SHADER_RESOURCE_VIEW_DESC , D3D11_BUFFER_SRV doc,  For this Shader Resource View you need to define ElementOffset and ElementWidth but the error message (and documentation) is a bit misleading because they should suggest the number of elements, not the size of a single element, so prefer using ElementCount and FirstElement, like this:

var desc = new ShaderResourceViewDescription();
desc.Dimension = ShaderResourceViewDimension.Buffer;
desc.Format = SharpDX.DXGI.Format.R32_UInt;
desc.Buffer.FirstElement = 0;    // same as ElementOffset in error message but more appropriate
desc.Buffer.ElementCount = MaximumCount; // same as ElementWidth in error message but more appropriate

You will get probably similar error for the declaration of UAV view.

Edited by xoofx