• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
thedeskgeek

Where do I begin?

This topic is 1395 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I guess like many people, this is my first post, so I will try to keep it simple and sweet. 

I am wanting to make some video games. More specifically, games that both kids and adults can enjoy. I want to make games like breakout, or a maze game that you can shoot at monsters, stuff like that. I know that is very vague, but I have a problem explaining my thoughts sometimes. 

As to why I want to make games, well... I had a near death experience last year, and I have been trying to learn graphics programming since. 

I am learning python right now, and ordered some books to help me learn C++ and Direct X, which I know are very hard languages to understand and learn much like OpenGL, but I know as well that the reward is great. I don't want to make full scale 3D games yet, but I do want to do that down the road. I don't want to use a premade cut and paste game development kit like Unity or Game Maker, but if I have to do that to learn first, I am willing to try anything. 

I guess what I want to know is, what is the best method to do what I want to do? Am I doing the right thing so far? Am I going down the right path? Is there anything you could suggest to me to help me learn how to better understand programming and such? 

I don't know how to fully ask my question. I hope you understand what I am trying to explain. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my topic, I hope to hear from you guys soon! 

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!