Help - How To Approach Game Companies

Started by
13 comments, last by tom76 22 years, 5 months ago
Thanks to everyone who gave some input, I never knew there was so much to it lol.

Oh well, here goes nothing

"I envy you, who has seen it all"
"And I, young sir, envy you, who have yet to see it for the first time..."
- Daniel Glenfield
1st October 2001
if (witisism == !witty) return to_hole
Advertisement
Almost a week has gone by and a very lukewarm reception so far.
Does my demo look that bad?
www.angelfire.com/games4/glensoft

I''m not sending my CV with my email, just a basic "hey I saw your company and thought I''d like to work there" sort of letter, showing I''d researched the company etc.

- Daniel Glenfield
1st October 2001
I don''t think the demo looks bad, but is there a way to download it?

Other than that, I think you should change the background on the web page. It hurt my eyes trying to read the text.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.
Well from reading your post and looking at the web site I am afraid your are doing a bad job of selling yourself.

1. You say you are looking for a job (in house I assume) but the web site talks as if you are a company. This is a mixed message that will put people off. The site needs to be YOUR personal site, not a company site. It needs to give details of you and your abilities (your CV) and say something about the demo (feature list).

2. Web site presentation - this is very messy. It makes it hard to read the text or focus on the screen shots. Get rid of the "Glensoft" text background, have a proper feature list for the game, put relevant text next to screenshots, telling the viewer what they are seeing.

3. Why didn''t you send your CV? Big mistake. Most companies get dozens of job applications per week. With most they:
i. open them,
ii. read the CV,
iii. Make a decision,
iv. Send reject or arrange interview.

With you they have no CV so they know nothing about you. They either have to write to you and wait for you to send a CV or take the easy option of picking one of the other applicants and just sending you a reject letter.

4. You should also supply the demo and explain to them the features of the game, what is good about it and also what is bad about it - show you know what is wrong and that given time these could be fixed.

Hope that all helps. Afraid it is tough getting a job in the industry even at entry level so you just have to keep on trying. Good luck.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
I''ve not had any complaints about the background of the site, but I''ve rectified it now.
I didn''t send my CV but I made it clear in my cover letter that I already have experience in the industry, and that I''d produced a demo. I gave them contact details and to be fair I have been asked for my CV by a couple of places, and am waiting for them to get back to me.

I''ll see if I can get Dark Mantra available for download. I''ve never had much luck setting up things like that on Angelfire.

And of course I didn''t send them the demo - companies hate having large attatchments without permission being given.

- Daniel Glenfield
1st October 2001

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement