Battalions, new-age online RTS

Started by
10 comments, last by Zenksor 9 years, 7 months ago

Hello!

First time poster here.

I am currently designing a game while I finish the last year of my Computer Science degree at Texas State University. I have been working on the idea for a little over a year now, and I believe is now at a presentable point to receive feedback. However, it is far from done, as I have not yet begun coding and still have little art to call my own.

Attached is a .pdf of a Google-doc PowerPoint I have been working on. When I saved it to a .pdf, some of the spacing was slightly messed up, but isn't a real concern (I would fix it, but it is about 55 slides (pages) long).

I am happy to answer any questions or listen to any comments. I am hoping to clarify everything and making it easier to understand. I plan to [pay someone to] make a video to release with a kickstarter, and begin implementation from there. I am in no hurry, and I want everything to be as-close-to perfect as possible before coding anything and begin paying people.

Everything is explained piece-by-piece in the attached document, and most of the obvious questions are answered or explained later in the document.

Thanks,

Matt Hoffman

Zenksor

Edit: Re-uploaded the file with a typo and clarification change

Advertisement

So I guess no one really likes it or is that interested by it?

Well, at least no one hates it :x

Attached is a .pdf of a Google-doc PowerPoint I have been working on. When I saved it to a .pdf, some of the spacing was slightly messed up, but isn't a real concern (I would fix it, but it is about 55 slides (pages) long).

I am happy to answer any questions or listen to any comments.

That doesn't explain why you posted it here. What is it you're hoping to achieve by posting that here (what are you looking for from this forum)?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

That doesn't explain why you posted it here. What is it you're hoping to achieve by posting that here (what are you looking for from this forum)?

Granted i didn't ask anything specific-- which perhaps I should have.

But I thought surely people would be inclined to give feedback on rather or not they liked the idea.

But I thought surely people would be inclined to give feedback on rather or not they liked the idea.

Well you posted a really long pdf about your idea. smile.png

It's a great work, and it's really great that you have such a detailed idea. smile.png
However you can't expect, that someone, who don't wanna actually work on it will read it. It's really good when you share your concept with someone who work with you on that, but it's much more than an idea. tongue.png

There is too much detail to catch the point as someone, who just read alot of topic searching for something interesting. Only the peoples who are already interested will read that pdf, but you didn't inspired anyone to do that.

I think you would have better success by writing an overview about your idea, what do you think, what's the most unique, most interesting thing in your project? What is the thing that will inspire someone to work on it, or play with it?

The details are really important if you want to make a good game, however, to sell your idea you should focus on the point of your project. smile.png

Also i don't know what's the point of that topic? Do you want opinions about your idea? Do you want someone to work with? (in that case, what do you need? C++ programmer? Artist? Musician?)

If you would clarify these things probably you would have better success, i guess the best you can do it is clarifying these things in another topic.

I hope i could help, good luck! smile.png

Well you posted a really long pdf about your idea.

It's a great work, and it's really great that you have such a detailed idea.
However you can't expect, that someone, who don't wanna actually work on it will read it. It's really good when you share your concept with someone who work with you on that, but it's much more than an idea.

There is too much detail to catch the point as someone, who just read alot of topic searching for something interesting. Only the peoples who are already interested will read that pdf, but you didn't inspired anyone to do that.

I think you would have better success by writing an overview about your idea, what do you think, what's the most unique, most interesting thing in your project? What is the thing that will inspire someone to work on it, or play with it?

The details are really important if you want to make a good game, however, to sell your idea you should focus on the point of your project.

Also i don't know what's the point of that topic? Do you want opinions about your idea? Do you want someone to work with? (in that case, what do you need? C++ programmer? Artist? Musician?)

If you would clarify these things probably you would have better success, i guess the best you can do it is clarifying these things in another topic.

I hope i could help, good luck!

That is actually quite helpful. Thanks.

If you had to take one or few mechanics from the pool you have and focus prototyping on them, which do you think you'd focus on?

The PDF sounds more like notes for yourself. Most slides currently take for granted that the reader has a general understanding of the concept, which isn't the case.

If your intent is to produce a GDD and you're asking for advices on that, I would recommend that you start with the most general, and go towards the specifics.

Starting with the unit creator and the status of the units, for example, tells me little about what type of game it really is, how it plays out, how it's supposed to feel, and how I am meant to control the units / win the game, etc.

After purpose, I would focus on the 3Cs (Character, Controller, Camera).

You want to give the reader an understanding of WHAT he will control (the Character(s)), HOW he'll control him/them (Controller), and what exactly will be DISPLAYED (Camera).

Everything you list are game mechanics / ideas, but in and of themselves, they tell us little about your idea.

Thanks again, ya'll.

That is something I should consider.

and @Mratthew,

One mechanic that would be easy to talk about from the point pool would be the abilities, and how they are optional and have different levels of power. I would also like to explain the Unit Advancement feature, but is a bit confusing to understand without getting into a bit more detail.
One of the in-game mechanics I would like to focus on is the Unit Behaviors and how micro'ing won't be possible. Also the zoom mechanic, similar to Supreme Commander's, which lets you zoom into a different battles throughout the map, or zoom-out to see the entire map.

Well, without reading the pdf i can't really help you, but i think if you would speak that way, it would be more inspiring. smile.png

"I believe, that in a Strategic game the most important part must be the strategy: planning your infrastructure, train as optimal army as you can etc. For me it's not acceptable, when the game is decided by microing. I believe in strategic games without micro. Wanna join? :)" (actually i believe in the same, i don't play RTS-s just because of microing)

You shouldn't speak about the details, you shouldn't speak about HOW you achieve the goals, or WHAT is the goal.

You should speak about Why you make your decisions. If the Why is clear, everybody can get similar dicisions using your Why as a filter.

However, if you speak about What you do or How you do, everybody will have a "better" idea, and you will feel like noone understand you. smile.png

You can get peoples for your project who believe what you believe only if you speak about what you believe.

I am not a psychologist btw, sorry if it's too much in that direction... biggrin.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement