Why Am I Walking on Nothing?

Started by
3 comments, last by Xenofied 9 years, 7 months ago

Hello Everyone!!

Thanks for your eyes.

I ask that you watch the following video from 1:17 to 1:41 as the question I have is concerned with that section.

As the title entails, my character doesn't actually touch a single step when walking down them. Why is that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if someone's attempt to answer this question sparks an interest within yourself, feel free to engage that person with questions or ideas.

Thanks!!!

nine'O'three

Advertisement

This should be obvious, but anyway, here's my explanation: walking up/down stairs is one of the hardest things to get right in video games... In fact, I dare you do find a video game where the character animation actually steps on the stairs (there are a few, but not immediately obvious). In this case, the character just slides along an invisible straight slope, which is easy to implement, and the character's leg movement is a pre-recorded animation - probably the same animation used when the character walks along a straight horizontal path.

Are you perchance lashing out at developers for these minor inconsistencies? Because that's not very nice...

Yeah it's definitely just a slope. It could have been hidden better though, those steps are just huge (like, you'd need to jump to actually go upstairs)

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Are you a game tester? This and the other thread (about Unmechanical) are just bugs or glitches, there's not much to understand, and the only real explanation would require the source code, anything else is just assumptions.

Just like the other thread, there's more than "walking on nothing" happening here, you're walking down a stair which is not the same as standing on an invisible floor over a pit.

Everyone!! I am so glad you decided to take time to answer my question. I have no idea how long it would have taken me to realize that it would be very difficult to have a character actually step on each individual stair on his way up a flight of them. That sort of action is taken for granted by us in the real world that it was hard for me to learn how to translate it into the digital world. Right now in my game design adventures I am having fun trying to figure out how to create real world instances like turning on a faucet in the digital world. IT IS A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF CREATIVITY FOR ME!!!!!!

Thanks a million monkeys for your help!!!

Good day!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement