My Ludum dare entry for feedback

Started by
2 comments, last by Boder 9 years, 7 months ago

Looking for feedback for my LD entry

http://zwodahs.itch.io/connected_worlds

Yes yes, I know this belongs to announcement, but I feel more at home in the sub forum of game design.

So to make this a game design topic, let me do some analysis on my game and I of want to know what you think can make the game better.

My original idea was a single world where you try to clear the "trash" in your own by connecting the lines on the block. You can see this part of the game in the red world in the final game. However, after realizing that that isn't fun enough, I thought about how to make each world different.

I also wanted each world to have their own food meter, and food will be generated in each world, except the yellow world. Yellow world then get foods from green world when the green world matches something. However this idea is scraped. Instead, I decided to make green world generate food for everyone.

yellow and blue world is created at the same time. I wanted a world where there is constant flooding and another world that have things to fill the water. The other idea I had was to let water be carried around once to the yellow world to create oasis. But that idea was scraped since moving water seems weird and the current objective is hard enough =).

The original order of the worlds is red->green->yellow->blue. It was changed when I designed how food was generated. The way that green world to generate food initially is to push 3 "trees" together. However, as I was making the water world, I thought that it would be cool if green uses the water that blues have to generated food. Because of that, I swapped Red with Blue to form the current order yellow->blue->green->red.

Initially red is the first world. As I was designing the tutorial, I feel that yellow world is a easier world to teach, and there is a good flow in the tutorial if I move yellow to first; teach about moving sand, then move sand into water, then plant into water, then eat your food.

-- tl;dr , just me doing post analysis. Just play the game =P

Let me know what you think can be done to improve the game, even the slightest, except for graphics.

http://zwodahs.itch.io/connected_worlds

Check out my blog at zwodahs.github.io and zwodahs.itch.io/

Advertisement

The grabbing part is most important for the player. You have to make that clear.

I think the goal of the game has to be easier to understand. Even with you knowing how to play, you still had 10 minutes to win.

hmm i thought the grabbing part would be clear since it was in the initial tutorial.

I know the goal is kind of unclear, but I kind of want that to the an "exploration" part of the game; to find out how to win.

I will look into how to make the tutorial more clear.

Check out my blog at zwodahs.github.io and zwodahs.itch.io/

The tutorial should say (Push the Spacebar to continue.) at the end of each screen.

You could have the controls after that, possibly

I would suggest using the arrow keys to move. Spacebar to grab. Don't use the Escape key at all.

To end the game, you could hint, "You need to produce a special block (from another place) to block the volcano"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement