Compiling 64-bit Applications in Visual Studio Express 2013

Started by
13 comments, last by Vincent_M 9 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone know if it's possible to compile 64-bit C++ binaries for VS 2013 Express, or do I need to buy the full version? I've looked around for a solution, and I've come across this MSDN article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x4d2c09s.aspx

32-bit-native desktop-class CPUs since mid-2007. It seems that Windows is still holding onto its 32-bit past for some reason...

Advertisement

You can do 64 bit.

As indicated by the table linked on that page VS Express does include a compiler that can target x64 architecture. It does not include a 64-bit toolchain. In other words, it can make 64-bit programs but it itself is not a 64-bit program.

The page you linked is about switching the 32-bit compiler for 64-bit compiler, not about making 64-bit programs.

To build a 64-bit program, you need to make a new project and solution configuration that targets x64. To do this, click the dropdown for selecting debug/release and click the "Configuration Manager..." option. Then click the dropdown under "Active solution platform" and select "<New...>". Then select "x64" from the top dropdown, and pick a platform to copy settings from. Make sure "Create new project platforms" is checked. Then you'll be able to set up and build for both 32-bit and 64-bit programs.

(Instructions are from MSVC 2013 Pro, as I don't have Express on hand, but it should be the same or similar)

Converting a project to build for x64 by hand is harder, as you'll have to fix up all the library paths, settings, and preprocessor settings to build for x64.

Whether or not you need to make a 64-bit app is a whole other discussion, as most indie games and personal projects won't get any advantage.

Edit: Ironically, the instructions that I just typed up are listed on MSDN right above the page you posted on the left-hand sidebar.

VS 2012 and 2013 express includes the x86-x64 cross compiler, and not the full x64 compiler. Like SmkViper already explained, this essentially means that the compiler and linker are 32-bit executables, but ultimately they can produce a 64-bit executable. For the most part this isn't a big deal, unless you start working on a huge project that can cause the linker to exceed its 4GB virtual address space. I have no idea why they only include the cross-compiler and not the full x64 compiler, it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

VS 2012 and 2013 express includes the x86-x64 cross compiler, and not the full x64 compiler. Like SmkViper already explained, this essentially means that the compiler and linker are 32-bit executables, but ultimately they can produce a 64-bit executable. For the most part this isn't a big deal, unless you start working on a huge project that can cause the linker to exceed its 4GB virtual address space. I have no idea why they only include the cross-compiler and not the full x64 compiler, it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

One has to assume that the full 64-bit version is coming sooner or later, but it is curious why it isn't available already...

I have no idea why they only include the cross-compiler and not the full x64 compiler, it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
So they can charge people for the other editions of VS that do have them?

Its like asking why Windows Vista Starter only supports 1Gb of RAM (hint: It isn't a limitation of the NT kernel).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

One has to assume that the full 64-bit version is coming sooner or later, but it is curious why it isn't available already...

Microsoft is giving away the express edition for free and allows people and companies to use the express edition commercially, They need to save some stuff for the more expensive editions otherwise noone would buy them.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

As indicated by the table linked on that page VS Express does include a compiler that can target x64 architecture. It does not include a 64-bit toolchain. In other words, it can make 64-bit programs but it itself is not a 64-bit program.

The page you linked is about switching the 32-bit compiler for 64-bit compiler, not about making 64-bit programs.

To build a 64-bit program, you need to make a new project and solution configuration that targets x64. To do this, click the dropdown for selecting debug/release and click the "Configuration Manager..." option. Then click the dropdown under "Active solution platform" and select "<New...>". Then select "x64" from the top dropdown, and pick a platform to copy settings from. Make sure "Create new project platforms" is checked. Then you'll be able to set up and build for both 32-bit and 64-bit programs.

(Instructions are from MSVC 2013 Pro, as I don't have Express on hand, but it should be the same or similar)

Converting a project to build for x64 by hand is harder, as you'll have to fix up all the library paths, settings, and preprocessor settings to build for x64.

Whether or not you need to make a 64-bit app is a whole other discussion, as most indie games and personal projects won't get any advantage.

Edit: Ironically, the instructions that I just typed up are listed on MSDN right above the page you posted on the left-hand sidebar.

I tried changing the build configuration, but the x64 option wasn't appearing. I was able to type in whatever I wanted, which I typed in x64, but I'm sure that's not a magic string that'll set my new build configuration's settings to use the 64-bit compiler.

What really gets me is Microsoft's interest in continuing to push 32-bit development on their developer base when both the hardware and their own operating system have been largely a 64-bit world for quite some time now. I don't think you could find a 32-bit Intel or AMD CPU anymore. This will only promote the 32-bit/64-bit compatibility issues in the future if Microsoft ever wanted to get rid of 32-bit support altogether, which makes sense now that XP is no longer supported by them. Then again, 32-bit Vista...

EDIT: Ok, I think I've got it. Typing "x64" into the platform name even though it doesn't show up in the drop down (nothing does except a blank field) was a magic string. I went through my Linker settings for my project, and found that my "Target Machine" field in "Linker->Advanced" has changed to "/MACHINE:X64". I checked my directories, and all VS's environmental variables have changed to have an "x64" suffix to it, or something similar to that.

My 32-bit libraries are no-longer recognized because I get "unresolved external symbol" linker errors. I swapped GLEW and GLFW's 32-bit libraries out for the 64-bit versions, and everything built correctly. When building the application, I get a run-time error: "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application." I've done some Googling, and it looks like maybe some directories aren't setup properly. I have no project dependencies just yet.

Sounds like there's still a problem between 32/64 bit. If those libraries are dynamic, make sure the DLLs are also 64 bit.

I narrowed it down to GLEW. My code builds and runs with just the GLFW's API calls in it, but as soon as I made a GLEW call, I get that run-time error. I store the includes and libs to GLEW and GLFW are in my own personal include and lib directories I created in my Documents/Projects folder (assuming all other projects will use these, for now). Each project's "Additional Includes/Dependencies" have those directories added for all configurations. I even downloaded GLEW's source, and build it from scratch after switch its "Target Platform" over to x64. No luck there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement