Rubiks Cube Programmatic Solution

Started by
2 comments, last by DeltaVee 22 years, 5 months ago
Does anyone know if there is an algorithm to solve Rubik''s Cube? I am using the cube in as a game element and it would be nice if the computer could solve it. Thanks in advance. D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
Advertisement
As is bloody typical with my posts, I open my big fat mouth to ask a question and then I find my own answer about a pico second after I shut up.

Here is a link that describes a method (in great detail).

http://www.unc.edu/~monroem/cube/rubik.html

D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
Realize that this algorithm is not an efficient method but merely an understandable method such that humans can relate to. It has been proven than an arbitrarily shuffled cube can be solved in less than 18 moves (sometimes as few as 14!!). The work used IDA* with lookup tables of common shuffling methods as a heuristic.

There''s a great program out there which allows you to specify the state of your cube and it will solve it using the same technique but sped up for practical purposes. It has never needed more than 25 moves to solve any arrangement I''ve given it. I don''t have the link handy, but I''ll post it later.

-Kirk
Yeah, I found the link and played with it a bit.

The problem is that I am a mere mortal and the sentance "The work used IDA* with lookup tables of common shuffling methods as a heuristic" doesn''t make a whole lotta sense.

I like the human appraoch, at least I can inderstand and implement it. It is for a game element that is meant to be purely visual (read - non-interactive), and seeing that entry level computers these days are in the magnitude of a Cray II MP I''m not worried about makeing the CPU sweat a little.

D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement